What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Printing Quality From Van's Thumb Drive

9GT

Well Known Member
Patron
I have the RV-9 plans thumb drive from Van's. I am also missing a few of the full size drawings (24" X 36") I would like to replace. We have a local print shop that can do these for me but I am wondering if anyone has done it for the full size drawings off the drive, and if so, the legibility of the drawings. I would like to know first before I take it there. Thanks

I haven't actually printed one with a plotter, but on my Vans CD (pre thumb drive) the PDFs are vector-based which means no resolution will be lost when blown up to any larger size.

I haven't actually printed one with a plotter, but on my Vans CD (pre thumb drive) the PDFs are vector-based which means no resolution will be lost when blown up to any larger size.

Good to know. Thank you.

Make sure they are VECTOR, and not RASTER files

Just make sure to tell your print shop to ONLY print them IF they are vector PDF's and not raster PDF's. Unfortunately, .PDF's can be either.

I printed some of the drawings from USB on a large scale printer at work, and I printed them double the size of the Van's supplied drawings. Resolution, even at the larger size, is perfect.

When you open the PDF zoom in on any line. If you see pixels it's a raster image and won't scale well, if it's still sharp it's a vector drawing and you can scale to your heart's content, as other's have said.

Back