What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 14 aileron balance

HAL Pilot

Well Known Member
Just finished my Left Aileron and after handling it decided to check the balance. I hung it upside down by the hinges. It seams pretty heavy towards the back. Currently its about 38 Degrees angle when hanging free. I assumed that with that big stainless counterweight it would be about equal, but I know nothing about airplane design.

So is this normal?

Thanks

Vans publishes balance numbers - but if I remember correctly they come with the finishing kit (??). Get a fish scale, put the hook under the trailing edge, pull the aileron up to level, read the force in pounds. Compare to allowed limits. Unfortunately my plans are at the hangar, but surely someone can find the numbers for you.

To clarify The aileron is completely assembled with the counterweights inside.

My assumption was they would balance equally on the hinge points but do not. I do not have paint on. but there is no way its that much weight so double checking if others have same situation.

Last edited:
To clarify The aileron is completely assembled with the counterweights inside.

My assumption was they would balance equally on the hinge points but do not. I do have paint on. but there is no way its that much weight so double checking if others have same situation.

As designed, the RV-14 (and all of the RV models for that matter)do not have counter weights that statically balances the ailerons 100%.

Using them as is, as long as just a typical paint finish is applied, is what is expected.

Back