What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

couple of questions re. a used wing kit

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I'm looking at a used RV7 empennage & wing kit from 2006 which is at approximately the QB stage. I've read all the info on buying a used kit and have established ownership etc. with Vans and it's all good.

On the phone with the owner yesterday and he cautioned me that their plan had been to do roll your own leading edge landing lights, so they have already cut holes in the leading edges that are more oval shaped than rectangular.

I've looked through the preview plans and can't find a good template/dimensional callout for what these cutouts should actually look like.

I'm assuming that the typical L.E. installation has them in the outermost bay before the tip? Is that correct? Also, what is the approximate dimension of the hole? better yet, does somebody have a template saved to a pdf that they could send me?

If what they've done is small enough that I can just clean it up and use Vans stock plexi I'm fine with that, but if it looks like I'll have to re-skin the leading edges because they've done something strange, that will play into the negotiations.

Also, with kits of that vintage, I know that there are several service bulletins that I'll want to incorporate before moving forward. I've looked on vans website and see the following that appear to be applicable:

SB 16-03-28
March 28, 2016
All RV-3,4,6,7,8,9,10,14
Cracking of wing aft spar web at the inboard aileron hinge bracket attach rivets.

SB 14-02-05
February 5, 2014
All RV-3, 4, 6/6A, 7/7A, 8/8A Flying aircraft

SB 14-01-31
January 31, 2014
RV-6/6A, RV-7/7A, RV-8/8A
Hoizontal Stabilizer Cracks

SB 06-2-23
February 23, 2006
All models except RV-10
Safetying of standard and flop-type fuel pickup tubes

Is there anything else I should know, other than the standard stuff about corrosion & whatnot?

Thanks for your input,

Terry

Hi Terry,

I'm by no means an expert but I have a few thoughts:

1 - The wing aft spar SB isn't that difficult to accomplish on a finished wing, especially if the bottom skins aren't yet riveted on. I wouldn't let this put you off.

2 - The horizontal stab SB can be problematic to do on a finished part, there is plenty of info here on VAF regarding this. Personally, I wouldn't pay too much for a completed part that doesn't have the SB incorporated, as you may end up building a new stabilizer from scratch anyway...

3 - I'd be inclined to work with the leading edge cut-outs that you have, even if it means getting a new larger curved piece of plexi made up if the leading edge holes are larger than the standard Van's plexi. Drilling the leading edge skin off involves removing lots of skin-spar and rib-spar rivets, I personally don't think its worth the risk/effort.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Back