What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High Chrome levels - Oil Analysis

LordofWar

view

I'm trying to see If I can get any inputs on the chrome levels for the engine with chrome cylinders. The engine runs well. No metal found in filter. Any ideas?

I've got similarly high chromium. Blackstone suggested excess wear on piston rings. My engine runs fine. Good compressions, clean filter, and borescope looked fine, so just monitoring it for now.

Taking Blackstone's word that it is many times higher, it would mean a high wear rate very high, and I would discuss with the manufacturer or rebuilder of the barrels for their comment. Chrome walls are very hard and when abrasives are encountered, it wears something else, not the barrel wall.

Getting experience from a chrome user is good, but something sounds (measures) like it is wrong.

This may or may not apply for your situation, but you can see that the cylinder and ring material matches are very particular.

https://www.continentalmotors.aero/xPublications/.../SIL004/

Note posts 1 and 2 are opposites: post 1 says chrome cylinders; post 2 says rings. Chrome rings are never to be installed in chrome cylinders, but mistakes do happen. OP might check his paperwork to see if he got chrome rings (in a chrome cylinder) by mistake.

Last edited:
Bill, I'll give the barrel manufacturer a call to get a opinion.

Bob, my engine has 1575 Hours on it at time of the analysis SMOH. So I would be surprised if I'm finding out about Chrome Cylinders + Chrome Ring match issue now but I will double check the paperwork just to be sure.

Back