What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1200 series Mag timing

jibby212

Well Known Member
I am trying to verify the internal timing on my Bendix 1200 series Mags. These are the markings on the rotor gear |L8R| |L4R| The line before the L is red and the rotor lines up with the #1 contact between the L4R marks. I am guessing that the contacts should open somewhere between the L4R marks. I am thinking maybe at the red line and the spark will be slightly advanced of the rotor alignment and and the #1 contact. I have absolutely no mag experience but that's about to change.

There is an easy way to check the internal timing on a 1200 series
Set the Mag up to have the red line in the middle of the window. Remove the other plastic plug on the bottom of the Mag. In there you will see two lines on the rotor magnet. Now set the Mag at the "neutral" position. This should be in the middle of the two lines. Now turn the Mag slowly in the direction of rotation for your engine until the line is in the middle of the window. A right turning mag turns anti clockwise when viewing from the cockpit looking forward. A left clockwise. The points should now be just open and your buzz box should be squeeling at you. If not loosen the points cam and adjust it to open them at that position. You should use a new points cam screw if you loosen it. They have self locking adhesive on them and shouldn't be reused.
Good luck

Last edited:
Back