What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Flap Transition Speed

Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
I was flying in a friend's RV-10 over the weekend. The airplane doesn't have a flap position controller, so you have to hold the flap switch until the flaps are where you want them.

The thing I noticed was how long it took to fully raise or lower the flaps - probably 15 seconds each way.

Is that typical?

I've not measured the time to full deflection ... but before I had the VPX, I had to do the same. I had little tape tick marks on the leading edge of the flap for 15 degrees, which I could see over my shoulder. But I counted how long to get there, and it was a count of 7. I'd just count seconds instead of looking over my shoulder. So 15 for full deflection is probably accurate.

I've not measured the time to full deflection ... but before I had the VPX, I had to do the same. I had little tape tick marks on the leading edge of the flap for 15 degrees, which I could see over my shoulder. But I counted how long to get there, and it was a count of 7. I'd just count seconds instead of looking over my shoulder. So 15 for full deflection is probably accurate.

OK. That just seems like a long time a during configuration change when your hands are busy with trim, throttle, prop, etc.

Last edited:
I don’t find it to be an issue in the air, even on go arounds or missed approaches. However, I’m very picky about doing touch & goes. As a general rule I avoid them on runways less than 5000’.

I don?t find it to be an issue in the air, even on go arounds or missed approaches. However, I?m very picky about doing touch & goes. As a general rule I avoid them on runways less than 5000?.

I'm spoiled by the -6 with manual flaps. It takes a second or two to go from all to none or vice versa.

I'm spoiled by the -6 with manual flaps. It takes a second or two to go from all to none or vice versa.

The -10 has a sizable pitch trim change between a full flaps 70 kias approach and a no-flaps 70 kias climb. The ‘slow’ flap change gives you a chance to keep up with the trim changes.

Edit: This is a serious enough issue that during the prototype development phase, Vans made an attempt to build an ‘auto-trim’ function into flap extension/retraction.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't notice it at all, especially now with the VPX ... I just tap the switch, first notch, tap again, full flaps.

Even before, I just got used to counting to 7, never really seemed like an issue.

I never do smash and dashes ... always full stops, the others don't count in the tailwheel airplane, so I'm in the habit of full stops...

And as mentioned, on a go around it gives you time to retrim, etc.

Edit: This is a serious enough issue that during the prototype development phase, Vans made an attempt to build an ?auto-trim? function into flap extension/retraction.

Yep, but having my right hand on the flap switch for so long was uncomfortable (?) for me. Close to the ground, I really like a hand on the throttle. I have a flap positioning system for my -10, so it shouldn't be an issue for me, but that flap motor seemed to move slow, slow, slow...

Back