What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Origins of the RV-14 fuel cap...

EdH

Well Known Member
The Cotswold village of Chalford here in the UK would be the last place you would expect to run into RV component manufacture, but amongst the old silk and woollen mills along the River Frome, you can find Robin Voice's company, Newton Consulting.

If you're building an RV-14 (or have fitted Van's optional deluxe fuel caps) then you'll have a pair of their products.

_DSC2471_zpsb2982897.jpg

_DSC2477_zps1db0ec68.jpg

Robin mentioned he would have liked to make the flange out of a little less material for a bit of weight saving, but Van's requested an item to match the dimensions of the part supplied in the other model kits.

Parts for one of their fuel selectors, and a finished item.

_DSC2486_zps5dad3d3b.jpg

_DSC2463_zps05f92d49.jpg

Some; but not all, of the more complex parts are machined off-site, and everything is assembled, and shipped by Robin.

_DSC2492_zpsccec5c70.jpg

_DSC2487_zpsa8b639d6.jpg

Fuel caps for certified guys are supplied from here too...

_DSC2501_zpseb5add17.jpg

One of the other interesting things you'll find out about Robin if you get him talking, is that his aeroplane history includes a Cosmic Wind that he rebuilt and flew ("the finest flying aeroplane, bar none!"), and was well into Formula One air racing when it was popular in the UK in the 70's.

_DSC2503_zps2a5addb2.jpg

So when you're assembling your RV-14 fuel tank, remember your parts came from a one-man operation in the Cotswolds!

Last edited:
Great backstory..

I am using the deluxe Newton caps on my RV-10 build. If they perform as well as they look, I shall be a happy man.

I am using the deluxe Newton caps on my RV-10 build. If they perform as well as they look, I shall be a happy man.

Ditto.

I'm not flying yet, but the action on the Newton caps (the Deluxe caps from Van's) is smooth as butter! No can opener required to fill up!

work of industrial art.....!

Those caps are things of rare beauty....nicer than my house! :)
..but, much as I'd like to have some just like them, I wonder ( as a professional amateur armchair engineer!) whether the little well doesn't fill with water, then soak the lock, and freeze the thing up solid on a frosty night????
..oh, never mind, I see all Ciruss's and RV-14's come with a hangar! :):mad:

Cap Question!

The standard fuel cap that comes with he RV14 kit does not have the lock
Cyclinder in it. Is that something you can add or do you need to just order a new locking cap?:confused:

locking cap

Hi John,

You would need new caps, 'Sprl-L'.
Vans have a few, otherwise 'spruce can supply.

re wet and frozen locks- We have zero complaints, maybe eg Cirrus guys carry lock de-ice spray, or just do not engage the lock when it is cold and wet....

Robin

I love my deluxe locking fuel caps on my -10. Thank you.

I do wish the flange profile matched our -10/-14 fuel tank skin profile. They required a lot of belt sanding to match properly. That is some very good quality aluminum as it took a while.

Back