What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel pump fitting questions...

kbalch

Well Known Member
I got my engine hung last night (I'd forgotten how big a PITA it is to get those cotter pins in!), but ran into a couple of issues today while working on the fuel pump fittings. Two questions:

• Should the inlet fitting (called out as KB-000 on 43-06 fig. 10) come with the FWF kit? It's not on my inventory sheet or, indeed, anywhere to be found.

• Should the brass ferrule F 69-F-04X02 come with a brass insert, as well as a sleeve & nut? If so, mine is missing the insert.

I have a picture of the fuel pump after opening the engine. The only fitting on there was a 45 degree angle fitting which had to be replaced with the T fitting. The other two ports had red plastic plugs. With that said, I have all the parts on the fuel and and they were in the FWF kit.

I have a picture of the fuel pump after opening the engine. The only fitting on there was a 45 degree angle fitting which had to be replaced with the T fitting. The other two ports had red plastic plugs. With that said, I have all the parts on the fuel and and they were in the FWF kit.

Same here on the as-received condition of my fuel pump. The KB-000 was definitely not included with my FWF kit, though that's an -A model-specific fitting. The tailwheel airplane uses a KB-090 in that position which was the fitting I had to remove from the pump's outlet side. I've already ordered the proper fitting from Van's.

For that matter, there should be a tach drive cap in the FWF kit. Even Mitch admitted as much to me on the phone the other day. Who's still using a mechanical tach drive these days?!? What about the IO-390 being delivered set up for a fixed-pitch prop and requiring the crank plug to be removed? Really? How many -14s are flying without constant-speed props? I'll bet a very low single-digit number and possibly zero.

These are the sorts of odd little frustrations that come with building a Van's kit. Probably the best, most complete kit on the market, but occasional weirdnesses such as these still pop up. Go figure! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
well I did receive the correct KB-000 fitting for my 14a in the kit. I did have order the cap the cap drive cap--yes annoying.

Also, the spider fitting on the has a fitting that either has to be capped or plugged. At least for he FM-150. I had to buy that plug from Van's

I have not yet pulled out the crank plugs. Not sure how bad that task will be.

My shop also swallowed the high temperature adel clamps for mounting the IE DYNON FF fuel flow transducer. I know that I received them, and all the hardware for the FWF was in one box and now they have vanished. Another $11 down the drain.

well I did receive the correct KB-000 fitting for my 14a in the kit.

Glad to hear that you received it. It wasn't on my inventory sheet, nevermind actually present in one of the FWF bags.

BTW, your signature says 'RV-14' instead of 'RV-14A' - that threw me off and led to my incorrect assumption about your fittings.

......For that matter, there should be a tach drive cap in the FWF kit..... :rolleyes:

Why do you need a metallic cap for the tach drive? You don't really need anything there, as the shaft has a seal. It would be desirable to have a dust cap over it, and for that I've had a vinyl cap on mine for 12 years and 800+ hours. Secure it with a zip tie and you're good to go.

61b29tuDQFL._SL400_.jpg

Why do you need a metallic cap for the tach drive? You don't really need anything there, as the shaft has a seal. It would be desirable to have a dust cap over it, and for that I've had a vinyl cap on mine for 12 years and 800+ hours. Secure it with a zip tie and you're good to go.

That's good information and a neat solution. Unfortunately, a few days too late, as my new Andair cap just arrived and got installed. I'd say that I'll know for next time, but this is likely to be my last major project. At least, I'll know enough to pass on the good advice! :)

For that matter, there should be a tach drive cap in the FWF kit. Even Mitch admitted as much to me on the phone the other day. Who's still using a mechanical tach drive these days?!? What about the IO-390 being delivered set up for a fixed-pitch prop and requiring the crank plug to be removed? Really? How many -14s are flying without constant-speed props? I'll bet a very low single-digit number and possibly zero.

Some of your frustration seems to be because of lack of knowledge with what is common and standard practice with aircraft engines.

There is no requirement that the tach. drive be capped if not used.
There is a seal on the shaft that is very similar to the one that is on the front of the case for the crank shaft, and there is no cap for that. It is just fine without a cap but most people like to make it more finished.... that is why it considered optional.

The crank being plugged is a very standard thing and is typical from all engine builders. It assures that the engine is well seal for shipping and storage.

Some of your frustration seems to be because of lack of knowledge with what is common and standard practice with aircraft engines.

That could very well be. The half-dozen or so with which I've had direct hands-on experience during the build process are clearly a statistically insignificant sample.

There is a seal on the shaft that is very similar to the one that is on the front of the case for the crank shaft, and there is no cap for that. It is just fine without a cap but most people like to make it more finished.... that is why it considered optional.

Good info; thanks!

The crank being plugged is a very standard thing and is typical from all engine builders. It assures that the engine is well seal for shipping and storage.

The only other engine which I've purchased new was from Aerosport Power many years (18-ish) ago and it arrived without the plug. Again, a poor sample on which to base any conclusions.

Thanks for setting me straight. I appreciate your participation here!! :)

Not sure that I totally agree your lack of knowledge statement as it relates to the tach cap.

It specifically states in the plans:

43-07
Step 7: If required, order one IE RC-1 CAP Tech drive cap from Van's and install where shown in Figure 1.

Seems like this should be something included with the kit when a statement like that is made in the plans. Not that my opinion matters.

We spend a lot of money on these kits and with each new model there is more included and better instructions. However during the final avionics and engine installations there are still variations between suppliers as to how “ ready” they are for individual installations. Of the 15 engines or so, that I have installed over the last 25 years most have not had a plug in the crank.
The best money you can spend on your project is to hire a local general aviation mechanic to check out your project, especially before and after engine installation. You will be amazed how much useful information you will get in an hour visit.
After all these builds I still have my work checked over by the guys that do this stuff every day of the year.

You know, I tried to take the high road yesterday, but I thought about it overnight and decided that it was worth briefly commenting on how uncalled for I found it to have my several decades of aviation experience impugned by a complete stranger on the strength of his association with Van's. If he's here to be helpful, then he should omit the ad hominem comments which do his company no service and him no credit.

If tach drive caps aren't necessary (they are not, but omitting them is not representative of how most RV builders are finishing their aircraft in the 21st century), then he should take it up with the company president who agreed with me that the cap should be part of the FWF kit. Don't even get me started on the omission of one of the necessary fuel pump fittings. The KB-000 is necessary for the -14A and should absolutely have been included.

Van's makes a great product, undoubtedly, as we've all implicitly agreed by putting our money down (many of us for multiple projects), but the kits are decidedly imperfect in often minor, quirky ways. Denial of that fact, let alone offensive commentary, by a company representative is disappointing to say the least. I'm very glad that the building phase of my final RV project is nearly over.

Sorry to offend you. My post wasn't meant to question your knowledge or abilities. I don't know you, so my comment was based on the context of many of the questions you are often posting here on VAF. I have reread my post and just don't see where what I wrote should cause you to be offended but it
won't be a problem in the future. I think now is a good time to do something else with my personal time rather than spending it here in the forums.

Sorry to offend you. My post wasn't meant to question your knowledge or abilities. I don't know you, so my comment was based on the context of many of the questions you are often posting here on VAF. I have reread my post and just don't see where what I wrote should cause you to be offended

"...lack of knowledge with what is common and standard practice with aircraft engines."

If you don't know what's offensive about saying that to a complete stranger whose experience and abilities are entirely unknown to you, then I can't help you.

In point of fact, cranks are very often delivered with a red cap (similar to all the other red caps commonly used by Lycoming to temporarily protect open ports) to serve as a dust cover. While the number of engines I've seen delivered so capped does not constitute a huge sample, I believe it's of sufficient size to draw the reasonable conclusion that delivering an engine meant to be used with a constant-speed prop (a fact known to Van's and presumably communicated to Lycoming) with a fixed-pitch plug in the crankshaft is wholly unnecessary.

In any case, I've removed the plug, ordered the fuel pump fitting missing from my FWF kit, and moved along with my project as I am from this thread.

Back