What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

flap actuator bolt

A5555

Well Known Member
I've had my flap actuator off several times from motor cleaning. I thought I tightened everything up after each time but I found this. I couldn't turn the nut by grip strength so it made me wonder if it was something else. Has anyone else found this. Does this bolt need to have a cotter pin? The plans call for no cotter pin.

IMG_20190630_123747_zpsnzuhmsw8.jpg

Last edited:
This is a typical rod end connection, with the appropriate spacers installed, and the bolt properly torqued, there are no rotational forces on the bolt hence no cotter key required (the same as all the other rod end connection on the controls).

I often find folks don't install spacers between the bearings and the fork and then leave the bolt loose, it this case there will be a rottional force on the bolt which could loosen it over time. In this case the bolt becomes the 'bearing' and rod end bearing acts like a bushing.

Last edited:
This is a typical rod end connection, with the appropriate spacers installed, and the bolt properly torqued, there are no rotational forces on the bolt hence no cotter key required (the same as all the other rod end connection on the controls).

I often find folks don't install spacers between the bearings and the fork and then leave the bolt loose, it this case there will be a rottional force on the bolt which could loosen it over time. In this case the bolt becomes the 'bearing' and rod end bearing acts like a bushing.

to your point, I don't recall any spacers or washers coming out when the bolt was removed. agree, spacers are needed to develop clamp on the rod end connection. no cotter pin needed. it bugs me that I missed this. maybe I became LAZY after so many motor cleaning efforts. will correct.

Last edited:
Back