What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nippon Denso positive regulator

hcccs

Well Known Member
I took the alternator to a shop today and had it tested. It was OK but he had wanted to test it together with the regulator which I hadn't brought with me. I asked what kind of regulator I needed he said it had to be one with positive regulation since this is a Nippon Denso alternator. I have looked around on the internet but it doesn't really say if they are positive or negative. Can anyone recommend a suitable regulator for this alternator?

alt1.jpg

If memory serves, most all US vehicles use positive field supply and MOST, but not all, European cars use a negative field supply, with the Asians split between the two.

If the alternator is spec'ed for a US vehicle, use a standard Ford regulator. ND alternators designed for US vehicles will be positive, eventhough ND is an Asian supplier.

Larry

If memory serves, most all US vehicles use positive field supply and MOST, but not all, European cars use a negative field supply, with the Asians split between the two.

If the alternator is spec'ed for a US vehicle, use a standard Ford regulator. ND alternators designed for US vehicles will be positive, eventhough ND is an Asian supplier.

Larry

I talked to an electrics guy and he said I needed a VR-0120 regulator so I bought one and the alternator gave over 16V and the fuse popped out. A club member suggested it might have an internal regulator and how should I know. How can one tell? It has three connections posts, E, F and N.

I talked to an electrics guy and he said I needed a VR-0120 regulator so I bought one and the alternator gave over 16V and the fuse popped out. A club member suggested it might have an internal regulator and how should I know. How can one tell? It has three connections posts, E, F and N.

An ND alternator with those three terminals should be externally regulated. What model # is it?

A quick search shows that VR is spec'ed for European cars and therefore likely a Neg Field control. Your symptoms would seem to suggest that as well. Possibly time to find a new source for recommendations.

Larry

Solved

An ND alternator with those three terminals should be externally regulated. What model # is it?

A quick search shows that VR is spec'ed for European cars and therefore likely a Neg Field control. Your symptoms would seem to suggest that as well. Possibly time to find a new source for recommendations.

Larry

I got my VR-0120 correctly hooked up now and it is working fine.

Back