What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Emp Attachment Question

Brantel

Well Known Member
For the 10 builders.....

Is there any reason to go thru the entire emp attachment section of the manual just to have to tear it all apart for storage/xport to the airport? Seems like a waste since all that rigging will have to be taken apart for disassembly.

Why not just wait till final assembly time?

I mounted my HS and VS while the emp was still in my basement and got everything aligned and drilled and then took it alloff and put it storage. Once I got the project out to the hangar, a couple of years later, I permanently installed it to include the trim servo and cables.

Last edited:
I mounted my HS while the emp was still in my basement and got everything aligned and drilled and then took it off and put it storage. Once I got the project out to the hangar, a couple of years later, I permanently installed it to include the trim servo and cables.

This. I find it more efficient to do *work* at the house where tools, food, a bathroom, and time flexibility are easily available. For me, the airport is for assembly.

I do plan on temporarily mounting all the emp parts, specifically I am asking about the rigging of the trim system, I would go ahead and assemble it, just wait on the rigging.

I do plan on temporarily mounting all the emp parts, specifically I am asking about the rigging of the trim system, I would go ahead and assemble it, just wait on the rigging.

Yeah I'd wait on the trim and just install it once. It's not the easiest thing to install so no need go through that butt pain anymore than you have to.

Yeah I'd wait on the trim and just install it once. It's not the easiest thing to install so no need go through that butt pain anymore than you have to.

That was what I was thinking. I have seen enough reports about how much of a pain this is.

I did all the final rigging and adjusting when I built my RV-10 while the airplane was still in my shop at home. It was large enough though that I could get both wings installed. It was quick and painless to reassemble at the airport and verify the rigging. There is no reason you can't do that though at the airport if you want to do it that way.

I did all the final rigging and adjusting when I built my RV-10 while the airplane was still in my shop at home. It was large enough though that I could get both wings installed. It was quick and painless to reassemble at the airport and verify the rigging. There is no reason you can't do that though at the airport if you want to do it that way.

While I was able to get my 7 completely together at home, this won?t happen with the 10... not enough room. I would love to be able to fit wings and rig them at home but oh well....

I?m doing the same thing. I?ll mount the horizontal and vertical stabs and then take them off to store. Rigging will occur in the hangar. I also just finished attaching the tailcone to the fuselage which I did before the empennage attach.

I also found leaving the top skin off the tailcone so far has been useful for access to things like static ports, elt wiring, autopilot servos etc. I don?t plan to rivet it on until I absolutely have to.

Not to pile on too much, but I was pretty much at the exact same spot in the build just a few months ago. I chose to do as many here have done and mounter the horizontal and vertical stabilizers in the comfort of my garage. I was able to feel good about the alignments this way before I took it all back apart and stored the individual bits and pieces.

I also echo the sentiment of not having the forward tailcone skin riveted in place is beneficial (though apparently not necessary by any stretch) to accessing the aft section for static ports or any customization you may wish to achieve back there.

I?m doing the same thing. I?ll mount the horizontal and vertical stabs and then take them off to store. Rigging will occur in the hangar. I also just finished attaching the tailcone to the fuselage which I did before the empennage attach.

I also found leaving the top skin off the tailcone so far has been useful for access to things like static ports, elt wiring, autopilot servos etc. I don?t plan to rivet it on until I absolutely have to.

I did the same. Rigged at the hangar. Yes, definitely leave that top skin off until that's the last thing to do. Your back will thank you.

Back