- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinhood View Post

Example: There's an accident and the customer is hurt. She / he signed an agreement with you before the flight. He would have a tough time with his law suit against you. But, his wife never signed such an agreement and can file suit. This is why I think insurance is so important. They will step in on your behalf and the plaintiff will have to go through the 1 mil (or whatever) before they go after your personal estate.
This is certainly true; nobody can sign away anotherís right to sue. Unfortunately, the net effect is nearly unlimited liability. Having the spouseís signature, too, would go some legal distance toward demonstrating the intent of the parties, but itís hardly bulletproof.

Iíve also been thinking of picking up a Waco YMF and starting a scenic ride operation, so these matters have been very much on my mind of late.

RV-8 N118KB (sold)
RV-14A N114KB (#140494)
FWF in progress
Old 06-25-2019, 04:48 PM

That's awesome! I also love biplanes. I think you may also need a "drug testing" program for scenic flights.

When i was out getting a Pitts check out. I asked the CFI how he does airplane rides with out a testing program. His solution was to buy log books in bulk. Everyone who gets a ride, gets a log book with their first hour. Therefore the flight was training and not ridding. Clever

RV-6, IO-320, Catto, G3X Panel (Thanks Walt!)

Last edited by flyinhood : 06-25-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Speaking of..
It's my understanding that when there is a hold harmless agreement or liability release, those who sign are the ONLY ones agreeing not to sue if something happens.
Example: There's an accident and the customer is hurt. She / he signed an agreement with you before the flight. He would have a tough time with his law suit against you. But, his wife never signed such an agreement and can file suit. This is why I think insurance is so important. They will step in on your behalf and the plaintiff will have to go through the 1 mil (or whatever) before they go after your personal estate.
This is also why, when I sell an amateur-built aircraft, I have the spouse/guardian sign the liability waiver as well as the buyer.
Nothing is 100% but this should help in a court decision.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)Sold
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Old 06-25-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
That's awesome! I also love biplanes. I think you may also need a "drug testing" program for scenic flights.

When i was out getting a Pitts check out. I asked the CFI how he does airplane rides with out a testing program. His solution was to buy log books in bulk. Everyone who gets a ride, gets a log book with their first hour. Therefore the flight was training and not ridding. Clever
True on the drug testing program for scenics. Iíve heard of the logbook ruse, of course, but thatís thin cover should the feds or insurers ever have reason to look closely. Iíd rather just sign up for the random testing.

Iíve always loved Golden Age airplanes and have been crazy about the YMFs for almost twenty years. There are a handful of airplanes that always make me think ďThatís what a plane is meant to look like!Ē The YMF, DC-3, and B-17 are right at the top of the list. All of them just perfectly proportioned.

RV-8 N118KB (sold)
RV-14A N114KB (#140494)
FWF in progress