What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's 2012 Calendar Service Bulletin Problem

Sparky

Well Known Member
I just completed the mandatory Service Bulletin regarding the 2012 Van's Calendar:

VAF_00920Jan_20122020122019_01_14.jpg

When I finished, I ended up with two January 1st's - one at the beginning of the month and one at the end of the month. Has anyone successfully completed this SB?

I don't think I can handle two New Years Eves in one month:rolleyes:. Also, I believe the Mayan end of the world will still be disrupted:eek:.

Edit: BTW, I found the Sharpie worked much better than the Proseal. I've got two calendars and I did the first with Proseal. Now, I can no longer view January, as the cover is permanently stuck to January. I suspect I still have the same problem with two January 1st's, but cannot confirm.

Last edited:
I would recommend using Weld-On 10 or perhaps Lord Epoxy that has been tinted black as popular alternatives to ProSeal. But if you must use Proseal you could always dilute it a bit with MEK and "slosh" it around the calendar page to remove the mistake as well. From what I could tell, it should work to eliminate the errant items. If you do this though, you should sell the calendar to someone else and tell them not to worry about January.

Mandatory?

I'm questioning the legitimacy of Van's making this a mandatory service bulletin. They did not actually build the calendar, and given it's experiential nature - is compliance really enforceable?

Brian S.
Nashville, TN
N104BS RV-10
350 hours

No information there about priming or any kind of surface prep either. Can I use a rattle can primer before prosealing if the SB doesn't specify it? Are whiteout and Sharpie chemically compatible?

I'd recommend stop-drilling the remaining "1-number" on the last day of January on the calendar (Wednesday) so the second Jan 1st is removed permanentely. Otherwise we'd crack up due to laughter...

Or maybe the calendar can be fluted so we don't see the remaining 1-number" in a bulge?

There's ofcourse another option: leave the calendar as it is because that would give us an extra building day. Final result: the plane is finished one day earlier :D

No!

I'd cut out the defective calendar sections using a Dremel and install a doubler using posterboard as a template. Then I'd fiberglass a 1 layer patch in place being careful not to add too much weight. Use micro ballons in the West Systems mix. Sand the patch down and use Super Fill on the pinholes. Use your Brother printer to make new calendar labels with the correct date.

Sorry, I've been reworking my upper gear leg fairings and building a "Vetterman" Cowl Exhaust Exit Speed Fairing. I think I absorbed to much acetone last night.

p.s. I'm not an engineer, but somehow this has to be related to the nosegear issue.:eek:

Just sell it

on Feb. 1 and the Mayans will probably never know, they could only look so far ahead or behind anyway.:D

bird

Well, as for me, I began to comply with the service bulletin but with so much stuff going-on in my life, I just can't seem to get motivated to complete it. I'm thinking of selling my calendar to someone who can get it finished!

Compliance Issue

I accomplished procedures 1 and 2, but hired out 3 thru 5. As I also did the logbook entries, I think I qualify for the 51% rule, as the paperwork took most of the time (as usual). What do you think?

Don

The second January 1st is a nod toward the tail-dragger crowd, who wanted to have it at the back rather than in front where it's supposed to be ... :D

I scuff my calendar with scotchbrite and use rattle can primer. If you apply the primer thinly, you can still see the numbers through the primer. Be sure to deburr all edges and the prepunched holes prior to priming.

Mel: do RV-12 E-LSA builders have to follow these instructions exactly, or can we substitute alternative materials, such as Duplicolor automotive rattle can paint for the whiteout? I find the surface finish to be much more durable.

So, it occurred to me that completing the service bulletin would increase the resale value of my calendar so I forced myself to complete it. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying attention and accidentally deleted the 23d instead of the 29th! Additionally, while dimpling the pre-punched hole for hanging the calendar, it slipped a little and now the are all figure-8's! :eek:

Any ideas on how I should proceed?

Stopdrill, deburr, buff, prime, and use a Cherry "oops" rivet. All other attempts at correction are futile.

Unfortunately new calendars from the factory will still need the SB applied. The good new is, it won't matter after the end of the month...:D

No worries, Joe.

Everyone raise your right hand and swear that you've even noticed the calendar had any dates in it. I buy it for the pictures, like certain magazines when I was young, and never even read "the articles."

--
Stephen

Back