What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sensenich Metal RV7 Performance?

pilot28906

Well Known Member
I am looking for some performance and CG numbers/information for an RV7 with 180HP and the Sensenich metal prop that Van's sells. What is your experience with this combination?

Thanks in advance!

I am looking for some performance and CG numbers/information for an RV7 with 180HP and the Sensenich metal prop that Van's sells. What is your experience with this combination?

Info out there if you search. I posted this in 2011 for a 180HP and Sensenich 85" pitch prop but it is for my 6A. Weight empty was 1065 with cg @70.30. Average Weight during test points was approx 1430 lbs and cg @ 73.06

Isn't there an RPM restriction on this prop that limits max power operations?

FYI, my O-360 powered -9 will true out right at 175 knots at 8,000' DA and full power.

Last edited:
Thanks Philip and Jeff. I have been searching but can't find much on the Sensenich and the tail dragger 7. Was the metal prop pitched about right for your set up? Jeff my email is [email protected].

Thanks again for the info.

Isn't there an RPM restriction on this prop that limits max power operations?

FYI, my O-360 powered -9 will true out right at 175 knots at 8,000' DA and full power.

Only the 150/160HP sensenich props (70" diameter) have the 2600 RPM restriction.

Chris

Was the metal prop pitched about right for your set up?

I asked that same question in this thread thinking another couple inches of pitch would give me WOT, 2700 rpm red line, and 182 ktas Vne all at one point (see second plot in linked thread). As discussed in that thread, if I added that pitch I would be loosing more lower rpm performance to gain some very high end cruise performance. I thought the 85” pitch therefore seems a good compromise since I really never cruise/fly that close to WOT and/or 2700 rpm. Maybe if racing and/or looking for speed record.

Last edited:
I asked that same question in this thread thinking another inch of pitch would give me WOT, 2700 rpm red line, and 182 ktas Vne all at one point (see second plot in linked thread). As discussed in that thread, if I added that pitch I would be loosing more lower rpm performance to gain some very high end cruise performance. I thought the 85? pitch therefore seems a good compromise since I really never cruise/fly that close to WOT and/or 2700 rpm. Maybe if racing and/or looking for speed record.

I added some points for a 83 pitch Sensenich to Philip's original post here -

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=68127

It agrees with his 85 inch pitch comment above.

Back