What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New to RVs - training in SoCal?

jamlip

Well Known Member
Hi all. New here - after years of jealously listening to friends prattle-on about their fast and capable RVs, I finally scraped-together my pennies and bit the bullet on an RV4. It looks like a good aircraft, the seller seems like a great guy, and I am extremely excited.

I need to get some transition training to satisfy the insurers and my own peace of mind. The seller is a CFI, but this RV-4 has no rear rudder pedals. I have soloed single-seat aircraft, but never anything with this much power.

Does anyone know of a CFI with a suitably-equipped RV-4 in the SoCal area? I'm near Los Angeles.

Failing that, has anyone here retrofitted rear rudder pedals to an RV-4?

Nice to meet you all.

James

You'll probably need to get your training in a 6 or a 7. I sold my -4 years ago but I doubt that you'd find any rudder pedals for the back of a -4. And you might have to travel for the training.

Hi all. New here - after years of jealously listening to friends prattle-on about their fast and capable RVs, I finally scraped-together my pennies and bit the bullet on an RV4. It looks like a good aircraft, the seller seems like a great guy, and I am extremely excited.

I need to get some transition training to satisfy the insurers and my own peace of mind. The seller is a CFI, but this RV-4 has no rear rudder pedals. I have soloed single-seat aircraft, but never anything with this much power.

Does anyone know of a CFI with a suitably-equipped RV-4 in the SoCal area? I'm near Los Angeles.

Failing that, has anyone here retrofitted rear rudder pedals to an RV-4?

Nice to meet you all.

James

....I know a couple of guys in the inland empire that can handle training and mods if you so desire. Just give us a call. Thanks, Allan...:D

If you already have good and current tailwheel skills and can demonstrate that to a suitable CFI, then they may be willing to coach you from the back seat with no pedals. I've done type check-outs in the -4 to suitable pilots on that basis.

The RV-4 isn't really a suitable ab-initio tailwheel trainer because of the issues with controlling from the back seat and restricted view ahead.

The ideal way to check out would be in a -6 with a CFI with suitable LODA such as Mike Seager in Oregon, followed by a brief coaching session in your own aircraft.

I did my transition training in San Diego with Reuven Silberman. He has an RV-7A but we did my training in my 6A. I'm not aware of anyone that has the letter of authorization from the FAA in SoCal to allow an instructor to rent you an RV (but that doesn't mean they don't exist). You might have to go up to see Mike Seager or one of the other folks listed on Van's website.

If you want to get in touch with Reuven, you can find his contact info here.

RV-4 rudder pedals --> Rear Seat Rudder Pedal Kit But my 2 cents; I would not teach or train in a 4.
+1 for Mike Seager. I had 130 hours of Citabria tailwheel time, with High Performance, and Complex endorsements prior to the transition training. Mike's instruction was indispensable.

Thanks for the replies. I have found two insurers that are both reasonably priced, but neither will accept RV-6 training as time on type. They specifically need it to be an RV-4.

I have about 140 hours tailwheel. Most of that was in an Avid Speedwing (my first aeroplane) with 10 hours or so on Decathlons. I suspect neither are like an RV-4, but the Avid was atrocious on the ground so I was required to learn quickly.

Allan - just tried to call you but it's late in the day now.

I think those rear rudder pedals may be the answer - ordered a set to keep my options open.

There are insurers (brokers) who are both reasonably priced and understand RVs, like NationAir (now www.ajg.com) and Falcon.
Discuss with them and I suspect they will be willing to accept training in an RV-6. Finding someone to teach in an RV-4 may be tricky.

Spend the time and go see Mike Seager. He's the best. If he's too busy and you have to wait to go see him, then wait to go see him. I'm sure there are other instructors that are qualified and would probably be fine, but go see Mike. Just my opinion. I have experienced exactly your situation, and hindsight tells me, with certainty, the best thing you can do is go get trained up from Mike.

I'm not aware of anyone that has the letter of authorization from the FAA in SoCal to allow an instructor to rent you an RV (but that doesn't mean they don't exist).

Just a slight clarification: Anyone (does not need to be a CFI) can ask for and get a LODA (waiver) allowing them to rent their plane to others, for the sole purpose of getting transition training in type. Owner does not need to be a CFI. The application does ask for the name(s) of the CFI(s) who will be doing the actual instruction. Most FISDO's seem up to date now, and getting the LODA is not hard, and costs nothing. However, insurance for the plane (hull) and owner (liability) is another matter.

Back