What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap positioning system jumps position 2

Camillo

Well Known Member
Hallo.
I installed from the first flight the flap positioning system sold by Van's.
I have now 127 hours of flight and FPS misses the second position. When flaps reach the first position, I have to hold my finger on the flap switch to let them reach the second position.
Has anyone experienced the same issue? How can I fix it? It seems to me that this is a unit defect. I removed the flap cover side panel: all appeared OK.

Thanks.
Camillo

I had a similar situation recently with my VP flap positioning system. Turned out to be loose wire on the switch itself.

David, I bet my issue is different. Flaps go down to 1st step and from 2nd step to 3d. Then they return to 0? all the way. And manually I can select any position. Only concern is that from 1st step to 2nd it doesn't "sense".
So, I guess this could be the "brain" of the unit.
I just wrote to show planes.
Thanks.
Camillo

Operate it with your face down there near the detent rod. Try to see if the micro switch drops into the detent notch. Could be the rod is twisted and the switch isn't hitting the notch. If it is falling into the notch you may have a problem with the micro switch or wiring.

Similiar problem on mine, I will fix at annual in November. Going from 1st to 2nd notch of flaps(3* to 18*), I have to depress toggle twice. I believe it is the microswitch/rod needing adjustment.

Figured it out...

I was having this exact same problem and it was driving me crazy. It was really frustrating because I couldn't readily duplicate the problem on the ground with the console cover off (RV-10). I finally realized that the resistance of the flaps deploying in flight were causing the rod end bearing to slightly twist, and in turn, cause the FPS rod and micro switches to become misaligned. I looked in my parts bins and found a few extra "fender washers" that were supplied by Vans in the FF kit to safety rod end bearings in case of failure (yes - I have installed them where directed). They limit play while still allowing a small amount needed for proper operation. The FPS has operated flawlessly ever since!

Brian
N104BS
RV-10 375 hours

Brian, my FPS jumps the 2nd position also when in the hangar, engine off.
However, your experience is interesting. I will investigate if my rod is rotating.

Back