What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ignition switch center ground

rv8gibbo

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I'm wiring in my ACS A-510-2 ignition switch and the wiring diagram shows the center ground wired to the nearest structural member, but bob from AeroElectic states that , "p-lead shields should
be grounded to the airframe/engine only at the engine end. The
shield is used to provide a ground for the "GRD" terminals at
the switch but no other connection to the shields should be
made at the instrument panel end". Should or shouldn't I ground at the switch?

Cheers
Gibbo

You can do it either way, but I run that terminal to airframe ground. I do not connect the plead shield there. That wire is used to ground the pleads when the switch is either off or in the single mag position (grounding in this case just the other mag).

You can do it either way, but I run that terminal to airframe ground. I do not connect the plead shield there. That wire is used to ground the pleads when the switch is either off or in the single mag position (grounding in this case just the other mag).

Thanks Jesse, do you ground the shielding at the engine end?

I'm hooking up my mags today, using 18 gauge shielded single wire, stranded. I have two slick mags. Using the ACS A-510-2 switch.

On the mag side: 18 gauge to each mag, wire on the p-lead, shield to the GND screw.

On the start switch side: wire to R or L respectively, ground to airframe (not switch ground).

Seems easy, am I missing anything? Any consideration for the impulse coupler?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
If you have a single impulse coupling, then install the jumper between the Right position on the key switch and the Gnd position right next to it. This will kill your right mag during start so your left mag will start with the impulse coupling.

Back