What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Additional Vents

Nihon_Ni

Well Known Member
I've been thinking about adding an additional vent or two to my RV-8. I found these RV-10 style vents in Van's catalog -- has anyone installed these in an -8?

cat-med_10vent_kit.jpg

If so, I'd like to get your feedback on placement and function.

Thanks,
Rob

I cant comment on it and dont want to hijack the thread, but how is the airflow in a stock rv8? is it adequate?

I used two small high quality vents from Stein mounted high on the front side panels from the front intake and stock set up in back. Airflow is great. (better than expected) The stock heater is marginal. If operating in colder regions it would need improvement.

Before cutting further holes in the side of the fuselage, I'd experiment with installing a 'T' in the scatt tube, running to a second eyeball vent. I've found the NACA scoops provide lots of air volume, usually ending up partially closing the eyeball vent to keep things flying around in the cockpit. The other thing of advantage (to me at least) would be to spread out the air flow over more of my body instead of the concentrated blast in my face or chest.

Are you flying, yet?

Most -8's seem to have more trouble keeping the airflow in the cockpit from blowing their hats off, than having too little> ;)

Back