What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are the HS904 ribs and the HS905 nose ribs the same?

salto

Well Known Member
Question please- are the HS904 ribs and the HS905 nose ribs the same? Kit came with enough ribs and they all seem the same. Just require a slight bend and a couple of extra holes for rivetting to spar by the go of it.
Build on or am i missing the correct part. thanks

Last edited:
The 905 nose ribs are much smaller than the 904 center ribs. I am working on these parts today and will post the proper count of each.

HS-905 ribs

Thanks Chris, if there is a difference I can't tell. Because of the angle and if the holes in the skin are adjusted for this the 904's will probably fit. Appreciate knowing what you find... thanks

The 905 ribs are very small and attach to the front of the front spar while the 904 ribs are much larger and attach to the rear of the front spar. There should be 8 905 ribs (4 for each side of the horizontal stabilizer). There should not be any way to misidentify the difference between these ribs unless some are labeled incorrectly.

Question please- are the HS904 ribs and the HS905 nose ribs the same? Kit came with enough ribs and they all seem the same. Just require a slight bend and a couple of extra holes for rivetting to spar by the go of it.
Build on or am i missing the correct part. thanks

Hint; If they were the same, they would have the same number. Parts are number for identification only, not for their placement.

Another Hint......

Another Hint......

The first page of each construction manual section contains an isometric drawing of the assembly being worked on in that section (in this case Page 8-01).
All of the different parts are always identified by part # and are generally visible enough to be able to identify them when compared to the parts in the crate.

There is an HS-1004 Inspar Rib that looks very similar to the HS-904 but there is a difference in the flange at the fwd end (this can be seen in the depictions on Page 8-01)

Last edited:
Another helpful hint...

Another Hint......

The first page of each construction manual section contains an isometric drawing of the assembly being worked on in that section (in this case Page 8-01).
All of the different parts are always identified by part # and are generally visible enough to be able to identify them when compared to the parts in the crate.

There is an HS-1004 Inspar Rib that looks very similar to the HS-904 but there is a difference in the flange at the fwd end (this can be seen in the depictions on Page 8-01)

I have found that at times when trying to decipher fine details in the paper drawings, that downloading the PDF and zooming in brings much more clarity and detail to the drawing.

+100

I have found that at times when trying to decipher fine details in the paper drawings, that downloading the PDF and zooming in brings much more clarity and detail to the drawing.

Exactly what I do as well. Suggestion for Vans that I have also sent in the past: Post all of the pdfs for the RV-14 online. At this point with all the revisions 90% of them are already there, so selling a CD in this era seems pointless.

904/5

My blue thanks fellas. I pulled all the plastic off thinking well there is no way I can miss identify these parts and didn't write the number on them..... I have it all assembled correctly .... I think I would need to give up if I didn't the aircraft would look like a vari-eze.... :)
All good thanks for the prompt responses.

Back