What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rocket panel

sailvi767

Well Known Member
I am looking at a panel upgrade on the F1 Rocket with a tipper canopy. My goal is to have a reasonably lightweight/ lower cost solution that has basic IFR capability. I will go with a GPS based nav and will not install a VOR/ILS. I am getting a lot of conflicting advice on different options. Leaning at this point to a Dynon HDX 10” as the centerpiece. To the right will be a D10A. The confusion starts on which navigation, ADSB and comm solutions on the left. I was planning a GNX375 and GTR200 to handle those functions but now leaning toward a GPS175 with the Dynon transponder/ADSB and remote comm after talking with several people. The last option is a GNC355 with the Dynon ADSB modules. I really like the GTR radio but understand the Dynon remote gives great functionality. The 6 watt output on the Dynon comm bothers me a bit. The 175 with the Dynon comm and ADSB is the lower cost option. All options will use the Dynon autopilot with the panel mount control head. Any thoughts on the 3 different approaches to the NAV/COMM/ADSB choices and the functionality they offer? Anyone planning a similar upgrade in a tandem seat aircraft?
Thanks!
George

Replace the GTN650 with a GNC355 if you must...
RV8 but the rocket is similar.

IMG_7756-650.jpg

That is the layout I want to have. I had a GTN 650 in my previous aircraft and it?s a great unit however other than a test never used the VOR functions and maybe shot two real ILS?s in 5 years and both could have been a GPS approach. Home field only has a GPS and I will probably shoot a real approach 2 or 3 times a year. At 12,000 plus antenna/installation costs it creates a bit of a hole in the already stretched budget!

That is the layout I want to have. I had a GTN 650 in my previous aircraft and it’s a great unit however other than a test never used the VOR functions and maybe shot two real ILS’s in 5 years and both could have been a GPS approach. Home field only has a GPS and I will probably shoot a real approach 2 or 3 times a year. At 12,000 plus antenna/installation costs it creates a bit of a hole in the already stretched budget!

Street price for the 650 is closer to or less than 10K which includes antenna. The new 355 looks nice but personally I prefer the screen size and VNAV features of the 650 (I use the VNAV a lot and love it).

Last edited:
I assumed and it now sounds like incorrectly that the GPS portions of all 4 units were essentially the same. I will have to look at the specs more carefully. Perhaps if I can convince the wife that VNAV is a must have safety need I could get a 650 into the budget!

Back