What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lynx NGT 9000+ pireps wanted

rvmv

Booster
Would love to hear from anyone who is using one of the 9000+ models installed. Especially if you installed it yourself. Thanks!

Lynx

I have one in my 1947 Luscombe. I wanted a visual and voice warning since this is my standard kid hauler

I like it very much

WX and winds aloft are a plus

I just installed one in my Stearman. Too early for pireps yet. The screen is bright and it certainly presents lots of information, and the WIFI connects to Foreflight so traffic is displayed there, too.
I also installed the traffic warning light on the panel, and am waiting to see how that works. Neither the audio or the light worked the last time an aircraft went by me (even though it was lit up yellow on the box and on Foreflight. I am waiting on an answer from Lynx). I wanted a transponder with both audio and warning lights, as the Stearman has some blind spots in flight and I fly underneath the busy Class B airspace in Atlanta.

The light and the audio work when tested with the maintenance tool. The transponder 24 month cert went fine, as did the FAA ADSB report. No errors at all.

Vic

Also interested

I have a unit ready to install. Only downside I see so far is that there is no RS232 out for traffic and weather. Only RS422. So in order to display traffic and weather on my AFS 4500 I will need to install a device to convert 422 to 232. Anyone had any experience with this? Any feedback appreciated. Thanks

I have a unit ready to install. Only downside I see so far is that there is no RS232 out for traffic and weather. Only RS422. So in order to display traffic and weather on my AFS 4500 I will need to install a device to convert 422 to 232. Anyone had any experience with this? Any feedback appreciated. Thanks
Try wiring one leg of the 422 first. Might work as most 232 receivers are fine with 5V data.

I also installed the traffic warning light on the panel, and am waiting to see how that works. Neither the audio or the light worked the last time an aircraft went by me (even though it was lit up yellow on the box and on Foreflight. I am waiting on an answer from Lynx). I wanted a transponder with both audio and warning lights, as the Stearman has some blind spots in flight and I fly underneath the busy Class B airspace in Atlanta.

The light and the audio work when tested with the maintenance tool. The transponder 24 month cert went fine, as did the FAA ADSB report. No errors at all.

Vic
Vic, do you have the ATAS option?

Regarding RS232 on the Lynx, I agree with the above...try connecting it per the Aspen diagram. I helped someone install one in their Lancair and configure it, and his EFIS was only RS232 at 38,400 baud and it worked fine with no converter. You can also use a converter if that makes you feel better. I think the voltage swing is close enough that it still works fine as is though for most systems. Converters are cheap enough, if you need one.

I am planning to put the NGT-9000 in both of my planes, and yank out my Echos this fall.

Yes, sure do. :)

Vic

Do you get the light and audio on Self Test?

If the installation is good, and there?s a traffic alert that causes the displayed target to be yellow, then the Traffic Alert discrete output should pull to ground, and the audio output should speak the ?Traffic, xx O?Clock? message.

Keep in mind that Foreflight uses larger alert limits than ATAS, so a yellow alert on Foreflight may show as a cyan target on the Lynx. The ATAS algorithm only generates an alert when the predicted paths are very likely to cross (in accordance with the MOPS), so another aircraft can be very close (down to 500 ft horizontally and 200 ft vertically in the airport area), but not trigger an alert.

Follow-up to my post a couple posts up. I couldn't figure out what I was waiting so long for, so today I ordered 2 of the NGT-9000's, one for each plane.
As soon as they're in, those Echo's are for sale and I won't miss them one bit.

Got one of the transponders installed yesterday and man is that a nice box. I was actually feeling a twinge of buyers remorse after spending a ton of bucks since I had 2 planes to do, but all it took was a quick flight to realize I made the right choice. After flying with it, I can say that I feel a bit sorry for people who buy something more vanilla like a GTX345. This thing offers so absolutely much more it's really pretty incredible.

Regarding the ATAS option, I got my unlock keys today. As it turns out, for all of them sold this year, the ATAS option is included.

Install wise, it was a challenge, but only because it's much harder to retrofit something than it is to simply buy and build it in the first time. Had I wired this in originally it would have been much simpler than what I had previously. But, finding and tracing and pulling back wires to install did take some time...time that would have been saved when I originally built the plane had I already bought this.

Now to get the 2nd one installed.

Do you get the light and audio on Self Test?

If the installation is good, and there?s a traffic alert that causes the displayed target to be yellow, then the Traffic Alert discrete output should pull to ground, and the audio output should speak the ?Traffic, xx O?Clock? message.

Keep in mind that Foreflight uses larger alert limits than ATAS, so a yellow alert on Foreflight may show as a cyan target on the Lynx. The ATAS algorithm only generates an alert when the predicted paths are very likely to cross (in accordance with the MOPS), so another aircraft can be very close (down to 500 ft horizontally and 200 ft vertically in the airport area), but not trigger an alert.

With quite a few hours on this now, I see that the collision algorythm is a lot tighter on the Lynx than it is on Foreflight. I do get the traffic warning light and audio warning when a collision is imminent. The light does not illuminate on power up self test, which is interesting.

It is an amazing box!

Vic

Will add L3 to panel with Avidyne 540

I?m overhauling a Comanche 260 and will be putting the L3 in the panel with a Avidyne 540 later this month. I?ve heard that the L3 is mil spec and the separate screen is a bonus. We will see.

For the -9, I?ll install the cheapest ADSB-out sometime around January 2020 or thereafter.

For people interested in the NGT-9000, I had been meaning to watch this youtube video and tonight I did. I actually learned a few things from watching it, and also confirmed a few observations that I thought after flying with it.
It's worth watching if you were interested in the transponder.

Look on YouTube for:
L3 and Aspen Present: Making a Sound ADS-B Investment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVzo6qwQsMc

I am not sure, but I think that earlier this summer if you watched this webinar it entitled you to a free terrain upgrade for the unit also. I'm not sure that it'll work after the fact though.

L3 and Aspen

For people interested in the NGT-9000, I had been meaning to watch this youtube video and tonight I did. I actually learned a few things from watching it, and also confirmed a few observations that I thought after flying with it.
It's worth watching if you were interested in the transponder.

Look on YouTube for:
L3 and Aspen Present: Making a Sound ADS-B Investment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVzo6qwQsMc

I am not sure, but I think that earlier this summer if you watched this webinar it entitled you to a free terrain upgrade for the unit also. I'm not sure that it'll work after the fact though.

Very nice presentation. Thanks, for the link, Tim! I had decided on the 345 but will take a closer look!

I have had one in my Mooney Bravo for 4 or 5 years? now. I love it ! When traffic is displayed on other devices (Forefligt, G-660 etc.) it is just too cluttered.
With my 9000 I can tell what is going on at a glance.

I just got back from my first longer x/c flight now that I've got 2 of the NGT-9000's in my 2 planes, and it was a really great experience with it. I did have traffic callouts a couple of times, and hearing the "Traffic, 11 o'clock, less than 1 mile, low" was cool. The weather on it was real nice, and works great for reading the AIRMET/SIGMET info. All around it's a great and reliable box. As Bad1996 mentions, the traffic display is great, especially when the other boxes get cluttered. There is built in traffic filtering that is configurable, so are left with a black background display with range rings so the traffic when displayed is VERY easy to see. I get the traffic display on my EFIS, too, but especially when flying around airspace (we were in KDEN area), there was so much same-colored stuff on the display between airspace and airport IDs that seeing individual traffic targets was sometimes tougher. So I see a great benefit to it's little dedicated traffic display.

The way I used it most was to just get my IFR squawk, and then once that was entered, I used the touch screen to slide the squawk entry page to the left and have the 2 displays show mini-traffic, and mini-weather. I used the winds aloft page too, and it matched up great with the winds I was seeing.

A couple weeks ago I did a really crappy quick video in flight of the new system. It would be nice to do a better one some day, but I was excited to share it right away. I didn't get the opportunity to get close enough to traffic that day because it wasn't a great weather day and nobody was flying in my general area. I did test some head-on and intercepting traffic situations with a friend and their airplane and it worked great at telling you when there was a real collision threat.

https://youtu.be/NSokf2Iiol0

It was a great upgrade from the GTX327 and GTX330 that I had before. I really think they have the best transponder on the market today.

No tips for the install, I had mine done by a shop.

But I agree completely with the favorable comments. It's a very nice unit, and has a great display.

The only traffic call that I'd rate a failure was the time I was just lifting off on a takeoff, and it reported landing traffic as a warning. I was accelerating and climbing, the other plane was descending.

Otherwise, the traffic display is super.

Dave

Steve,

Good choice on the transponder. You can't go wrong with that one. Even if Canada goes forward requiring diversity (or any other countries do) and you want to comply, you're just a software upgrade and antenna install away from compliance.

I've got a write-up here that may be more than you want to read, but it's got some tips in it.

https://www.myrv10.com/N104CD/upgrades/NGT9000/index.html

Off the top of my head, I can tell you that if you have an AHRS option with ARINC 429 output that you can feed into it, that's a nice addition. Here's why: For traffic to display in the proper orientation to you, while not moving, your transponder needs to know your heading. So, traffic does not display and you may get a "traffic unavailable" type message as you start and stop moving during taxi. I believe at around 7mph it will use your track and turn on. But, if you don't want this alert and you want traffic to display any time the system is ready, if you feed it the AHRS so it has heading, that will fix it.

Other than that, it's a straight forward install for the most part. Power, Ground, Altitude encoder input. There's a little module that you connect with 4 wires, that stores your config and licenses I believe, called the DCM module that you install. The RS422 output can be connected to RS232 systems in most cases, for a standard feed to your EFIS. Look at the manuals Aspen section in the appendix for how to wire that. The wifi module attaches with power/ground/TX/RX/Signal Ground. Interestingly, you can do some configuration via wifi once it's configured the first time. Plan to have a windows 10 laptop on hand though to run the config utility when you set up the transponder. For the most part, that is very intuitive as well. Them manual documents things well. Click through every screen and read the manual and you'll get it right most likely.
ABSOLUTELY install the audio output into your audio panel. It's awesome. I'd put it to an unswitched input if you can. It doesn't do much for annoying random callouts. Their traffic algorithm is fantastic.

You'll love the box. The weather and traffic display is more useful than you'd think, even though it's on a small transponder screen.

Oh, and when installing the config utility, make sure to follow the driver installation exactly as it's in the manual. It's easier to get things right the first time than to do it wrong and re-do it.

From a hardware perspective, there's just one thing I can offer for advice. When you assemble the wiring connectors on the back, and have them ready to attach to the back of the mounting tray, there are 6 screws that hold 2 angle brackets with slots to zip tie wires to. Those 6 screws seem to be weaker than some I've used. When you put them in the first time, it should go well, but if you have to remove them, they are easy to break. I'm not sure if it's because they have thread locker pre-installed, or what, but I broke one on each of my two installs. So when you go to put those on, be careful. Note from the install diagram that there are 2 jumper wires for chassis grounds that you install. Don't put the screws in those spots until you're ready to put the jumper wire on. That's the only hardware thing I ran into.

Hope that helps.

Problem with L3 Lynx

My L3 has not been able to display weather for past several weeks due to "software glitch" from the recent GPS date issue. L3 is working on it but may take a while to resolve. If you are considering purchasing an L3, buyer beware. L3 is understandably very quiet about this problem. I wrote to them but no response and they don't seem to want to talk to end user but rather dealers only. Recent job cuts and other downsizing news doesn't sound encouraging. Hope they are able to fix the glitch soon with the reduced manpower.

I have been advised there is a 4 wk backlog on Lynx.

Not much depth in the L3 product line

Recent job cuts and other downsizing news doesn't sound encouraging. Hope they are able to fix the glitch soon with the reduced manpower.

Can't help but wonder if the Garmin GNX 375 will kill this product. It appears to do everything the Lynx does with the huge benefit of being an IFR GPS...

The sky is falling!

I'm not sure why the pessimism and needless concern.

I'm subscribed to the technical publications and software updates, since I installed 2 of them in my experimentals. Shortly after April 6, I received an email informing me of the issue. It wasn't kept quiet, but emailed right to me. It stated that a fix was forthcoming. Friday I got another email, saying technical publication 0040-17001-01-RevR-TR-01 was out that is an insert for the install manual to make sure to document the issue, and what software versions it affects. Nothing was kept quiet, and I was informed.

So today, while I was thinking of it, at 8:30am I called their tech support, since both pre and post-sales they had been very helpful, and within a couple of phone rings I was talking to someone who was very willing to share much more information than I even asked for. He himself has been flying fixed software for a week. The whole problem was caused by their aggressive validation of input data...too much validation. When the EPOCH rollover happened, they stopped putting data on screen that didn't have the year matching. Well, weather data being uplinked isn't years old, so it just needs to ignore the year. A simple fix. I had been confused, because ever since getting the notification after April 6, I've still be seeing weather info on my MFD just fine. Turns out it only affects some of the METAR/TAF info and data displayed on it's own screen.

I was told that all that's holding up the software is the approval of the FAA to release it, and that I should expect about mid-May that it'll be available. I'm on version 3.2, and it'll be a minor release 3.2.1.

So to me, it's a just a hiccup, and I see nothing dark an ominous about it. (I believe in a round earth, too, so I'm not generally into conspiracy theories. :) )

L3 is one of the largest multi-billion dollar companies there is. I saw articles last fall about them having a merger that made them I believe one of the largest military companies in the world. Google tells me $33.5 billion. So I'm not sure I'm too worried about "Recent job cuts and other downsizing news". We fly behind experimental systems in our planes where the whole company has less than 10 employees...sometimes only 1 employee. I think with L-3, or Garmin for that matter, you're going to be OK.

The GNX 375 does look intriguing, but the NGT-9000 was a pretty good deal as far as I'm concerned, especially for a diversity capable and even active traffic upgradeable box. As long as the buyer doesn't have the common propensity of people to dive for the utter low-end systems these days to save a few bucks, I'd say it's still a box worth getting a quote on before you pass on it.

Just an update to the thread. I got notifications today that there were updates to the tech publications, and I checked and they listed this:

FIS-B Weather Restoration (version 3.2.1) ? Projected availability on or before May 15, 2019.
? Resolves the issue with NGT-9000 panel mounted Lynx units where weather
product data has not been available since the GPS Epoch roll over on April 6, 2019.

Traffic Display Improvement software update (version 3.2.2) ? Projected availability on or before June 20, 2019.
? Includes Weather product update above (3.2.1)
? Addresses traffic fail symptom seen intermittently, primarily in New Jersey region.
? Low speed heading availability update, addressing some Alaska operators with
no external heading source

They were both things I heard over the phone, but now that it's printed, it's easy to quote.

At the bottom of the letter, it says:
If you have any questions, please contact ACSS Customer Support at (623) 445-7070 option 3 or [email protected]

If you're an NGT-9000 owner, I'd suggest getting set up with an account so you can be aware of any publication releases like I am.

Thanks Tim

Thanks for the info Tim. I?ll give them a call to see if they will add me to the list for updates.
Craig

One last update on this. I got an email today that 3.2.1 was released. I went to download it but had to call because my account had an issue and I couldn't see the release. Once they fixed that, I was able to download it and it's now installed. Easy process.

antenna mount

I received a Lynx transponder yesterday and thinking about the install. what about mounting on a plastic printed bracket at the wingtip. any problems with that approach?

IMG_20190519_131049_zpsgfostf3v.jpg

IMG_20190519_172649_zpsshx8n1qy.jpg

too beefy?

185 grams. strong like bull. I like it but I can take some weight out.

DSCN1198_zpsrd0tuee0.jpg

DSCN1199_zpsfbe2f0gj.jpg

Last edited:
cut the weight to 100 grams

what was I thinking before? much better.

cleaned the print quality. it's going to be good.

cap2_zpsxx3sdtmt.png

cap3_zpsc1yagc3s.png

I know what you are thinking. Why isn't there a lightening hole in the web. There could be but the delta weight = 3 grams and it would need to be cleaned so I kept it simple. The web is thin.

This is what it would look like with a lightening hole.

cap3_zps9bollxqi.png

Last edited:
reduce weight further

can't leave well enough alone. if I did attempt to reduce weight further I could add lightening holes and reduce the top plate thickness. it's down to 67 grams. about 1/3 of the original weight.

cap4_zps6uvqn6a6.png

measured part weight = 67 grams.

needs some light clean up at the holes. ready for install.

DSCN1203_zps7vqlgq1s.jpg

DSCN1204_zpsytld4wgn.jpg

Last edited:
installed

I like it. I'm sure I could get the weight down to 50 grams but I'm OK with 67 grams.

edited-image_zpszel360vw.png

edited-image_zpsyps2tlbn.png

IMG_20190523_145232_zpsnbasodp9.jpg

wifi module mount

the Lynx 9000 comes with an external wifi module. it needs to be mounted somewhere. this is a mount that captures it on the back side of another mount. if you need a sharp corner to be stronger, one option is to add a circular shape.

cap1_zpsrwum8ux9.png

Last edited:
added usb and replace altimeter

wireless mount, removed the gusset from one side because it was too stiff. now its time to clean up the wires and add the bendix king audio output connectors for the PMA6000.

DSCN1229_zpsu7erthac.jpg

DSCN1230_zpsdd6l5rs8.jpg

added usb outlet and it was tight. I made an offset spacer to aid flatness and clocking. it's squeezed in there but should be OK.

DSCN1225_zpskebpqfq4.jpg

DSCN1228_zpsjtyp6rgb.jpg

Last edited:
iFLY GPS

I need a new tablet program to work with Lynx 9000 wireless module. I loaded iFLY GPS on one of my Nexus 7 units. The display is large enough to read easily and everything works well. I like it better than Garmin Pilot. I've flown a lot with Garmin Pilot over the past five years but always thought it could be better. I'm going to make the move.

Most of the common ones work fine with the Lynx. I have personally used FlyQ, WingX, Foreflight, Aerovie, and FltPlan Go.
Tim

remote panel operation

I wanted to be able to operate my panel outside the airplane for checkout so I'm doing it. I built a stand. I purchased 1500 ft of wire to make 15 ft extension cables to the cannon plugs. Added some extra coax for the transponder and radio. I should be able to connect to the aircraft and operate everything. I may find something useful in this and I may not. My panel has been fine to date. I'll try to keep the magic smoke in the boxes. I definitely do not plan a remote start.

IMG_20190610_210847_zpsqggo84ul.jpg

IMG_20190610_210858_zpsjrza9rka.jpg

need more wire
IMG_20190610_210912_zpsgthhr5kj.jpg

Last edited:
3.2.2 Software available from L3

Today release 3.2.2 for the NGT-9000 came out. This was the other release that I had heard about earlier this year that they said would come mid-June, and it's here right on schedule. It fixes a problem with some GBT's I guess that they found were problematic, mostly near New Jersey, but my personal thought is that if it happens there, it may happen other places as well. I have downloaded the software but not installed it yet on mine, but you use the same MPC tool to install it, and the same procedure as the prior release.

They also released Rev U, the June 10th version of the installation manual.

Publication Name: 0040-17001-01_NGT-9000_IM
ACSS Pub Number: 0040-17001-01
Publication Description: NGT-9000 Installation Manual

Publication Name: SB9029000-10_NGT-9000_sw3.2.2
ACSS Pub Number: SB9029000-10
Publication Description: Lynx® MultiLink Surveillance System NGT-9000 - Release 3.2.2

Publication Name: Release 3.2.2
ACSS Pub Number: 9020010-010
Publication Description: NGT 9000 Software 3.2.2

With this note at the bottom of the email I got:

"If you have additional questions or require assistance, please contact ACSS Customer Services (623)-445-7070 (option 3).

Thank you,
ACSS Customer Services"

Just thought I'd pass it along for the other owners.

Update: If you log in and can't see the software download, give them a call. The way the access permissions are done for the files, it happens that sometimes you can't see the new software until they fix your permissions.

Last edited:
external panel connection

I was able to keep the magic smoke in the boxes but I did pull the spark plugs just in case. everything is functional except for the engine monitor. lights, fuel gauges, fuel pump, trim tab, headsets, radios, transponder, etc. are functional.

I need to determine how to configure the Lynx.

IMG_20190615_144859_zps3ey8dpxy.jpg

IMG_20190615_144939_zpsy7enfs8i.jpg

Lynx 9000 successfully configured

I used the programs from the Lynx website to configure the transponder and it worked the first time except I miswired my audio panel input. The audio panel entertainment input I used only supplies the rear passengers. Well, that didn't work. I will remove the audio panel and correct those input terminations to be to the uninterrupted input. the audio panel is a learning experience for me.

also, a feature I didn't know existed is that you can input a lateral and longitudinal antenna offset in the configuration. in my case the antenna is in the right wingtip. my input was 14.5 ft lateral antenna offset. this doesn't make much difference but I like it. the Lynx installation manual is well written and step by step.

Last edited:
first flight with L3 ADS-B

seems OK, but I don't know what to look for in this report. now, I know I like the iFLY GPS software better than Garmin Pilot.

cap2_zpseeow2dmm.png

cap1_zpsnc40l7oe.png

rebate

4600 ft is not good enough to pass the test for a rebate so I took it to 14K and did some maneuvers. that worked.

cap1_zpst2nukrjy.png

cap2_zpsnfcm0pwz.png

cap3_zpst0r5s4zk.png

cap4_zpsfeoiftso.png

also, a feature I didn't know existed is that you can input a lateral and longitudinal antenna offset in the configuration. in my case the antenna is in the right wingtip. my input was 14.5 ft lateral antenna offset. this doesn't make much difference but I like it. .

This ?feature? is required in all ADSB-out systems. The reason is that the FAA envisions automating ground control, at least at large airports, saving the cost of ground controllers? salaries. To do this, they need very high accuracy gps data, along with exactly where the nose and wingtips are (your wingspan is also transmitted in the data stream), so a computer will know your nose is short of the hold-short line, or that you won?t clip wingtips with the Airbus on the adjacent taxiway...

OK, I placed the longitudal location at the center of the aircraft. perhaps I should have set it to the nose?

OK, I placed the longitudal location at the center of the aircraft. perhaps I should have set it to the nose?

The "fill in the box" data should include lateral offset (from aircraft centerline) of the antenna, and longitudinal offset of the antenna from the nose (measure from the antenna, straight forward, parallel to the airplane's axis, until even with the nose). wingspan is in another box.

The "fill in the box" data should include lateral offset (from aircraft centerline) of the antenna, and longitudinal offset of the antenna from the nose (measure from the antenna, straight forward, parallel to the airplane's axis, until even with the nose). wingspan is in another box.

will do, thx for the help.

Also, this should be in your documentation, but IIRC, all the distances (wingspan, aircraft length, distance of gps antenna from nose, lateral offset of antenna) should be in meters....

the Lynx manual in feet. it does say to the "nose". I missed that. Will correct.

thx again.

13. GPS Antenna Offsets (ft.). (Length and Width offset) The GPS antenna offset indicates the longitudinal distance between the nose of the aircraft and the GPS antenna and the lateral distance between the longitudinal center line of the aircraft and the GPS antenna. See AC 20-165B, Appendix 1.
? GPS Antenna Offset Lateral (feet). (Width offset) This is to provide the position offset of the GPS antenna from the longitudinal center line of the aircraft.
A negative ?-? offset value is left of the centerline and a ?+? positive offset value is right of the centerline as viewed when standing at the tail of the aircraft and looking toward the nose of the aircraft.
? GPS Antenna Offset Longitudinal (feet). (Length offset) This is to provide the position offset of the GPS antenna from the nose of the aircraft.

Back