What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anomalies with G3X tough v8.2

Bavafa

Well Known Member
I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue on v.8.2 as I am.
I upgraded to v8.2 a week or so ago and have had a few hours on it so far. I was practicing instrument approach and tried the TO/GO button which was working perfectly before but now the A/P does not seem to flip to NAV mode once the TO/GO button is pushed. The 650 had all the missed approach instruction and the plane seemed to only pitch up and follow the present heading only. This was on an ILS approach but the same thing happened on the next approach which was a GPS LPV at which time I noticed the A/P NAV was not on. Once I pushed it manually, it followed the instructions from the GPS.

Other things that I have noticed, in the config mode  display configuration, we should have an option to set the PDF HIS orientation but this option does not exist in my case. Furthermore, SMART airspace and Traffic TargetTrend options don?t appear in my menu options.

I was wondering if we do have the ability to downgrade the version on G3X?

On mine, TO/GA has always gone to pre-programmed pitch up and wings level. It has never gone directly to NAV mode.

Don't know about the other stuff.

Send an email to [email protected] if they don't answer here in a few days.

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same issue on v.8.2 as I am.
I upgraded to v8.2 a week or so ago and have had a few hours on it so far. I was practicing instrument approach and tried the TO/GO button which was working perfectly before but now the A/P does not seem to flip to NAV mode once the TO/GO button is pushed. The 650 had all the missed approach instruction and the plane seemed to only pitch up and follow the present heading only. This was on an ILS approach but the same thing happened on the next approach which was a GPS LPV at which time I noticed the A/P NAV was not on. Once I pushed it manually, it followed the instructions from the GPS.

Other things that I have noticed, in the config mode  display configuration, we should have an option to set the PDF HIS orientation but this option does not exist in my case. Furthermore, SMART airspace and Traffic TargetTrend options don?t appear in my menu options.

I was wondering if we do have the ability to downgrade the version on G3X?

Hello Mehrdad,

At about 5 mins into this video you will see how the system should behave after pressing the TO/GA button to execute the missed approach on an LPV approach. With this example, the TO/GA button is properly connected and configured to work with both the G3X Touch system and the GTN, so both are simultaneously issued the command to go missed.

Within a couple of seconds after executing the missed, the system automatically switches the lateral autopilot mode from GA to GPS to fly the missed approach procedure to the hold.

When flying an ILS, you have the added complexity of using two different nav sources (GPS/NAV). At any time when the nav source is switched, the pilot is put back into the loop. On every ILS approach, in addition to pushing the TO/GA button and adding power, you also need to reach up and press the NAV button on the GMC 305/307/507 to couple the autopilot to GPS to fly the missed approach. Again, this is only required for an ILS and this has ALWAYS worked this way, so this is nothing new in V8.20.

When you go into config mode, simply press the PFD button, and you will see the configuration item for "HSI Orientation" which has choices for Heading and User Selected. When set to User Selected, when you touch the HSI in normal mode, the PFD Options page allows you to select "More Options" then set the HSI Orientation to "Auto TRK/HDG" should you wish to use a TRK based HSI at all times except when the flight director/autopilot is in HDG mode.

From the Map page, Menu, Setup Map, Airspace still has a choice to Enable/Disable Smart Airspace.

From the Map page, Menu, Setup Map, Traffic should have the choice to Enable TargetTrend as well as on the Traffic page as long as your TargetTrend capable traffic device is connected and configured properly.

Let us know if you have additional questions. It is always best to contact us directly at [email protected] for questions like this.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Mehrdad,

At about 5 mins into this video you will see how the system should behave after pressing the TO/GA button to execute the missed approach on an LPV approach. With this example, the TO/GA button is properly connected and configured to work with both the G3X Touch system and the GTN, so both are simultaneously issued the command to go missed.

Within a couple of seconds after executing the missed, the system automatically switches the lateral autopilot mode from GA to GPS to fly the missed approach procedure to the hold.

When flying an ILS, you have the added complexity of using two different nav sources (GPS/NAV). At any time when the nav source is switched, the pilot is put back into the loop. On every ILS approach, in addition to pushing the TO/GA button and adding power, you also need to reach up and press the NAV button on the GMC 305/307/507 to couple the autopilot to GPS to fly the missed approach. Again, this is only required for an ILS and this has ALWAYS worked this way, so this is nothing new in V8.20.

When you go into config mode, simply press the PFD button, and you will see the configuration item for "HSI Orientation" which has choices for Heading and User Selected. When set to User Selected, when you touch the HSI in normal mode, the PFD Options page allows you to select "More Options" then set the HSI Orientation to "Auto TRK/HDG" should you wish to use a TRK based HSI at all times except when the flight director/autopilot is in HDG mode.

From the Map page, Menu, Setup Map, Airspace still has a choice to Enable/Disable Smart Airspace.

From the Map page, Menu, Setup Map, Traffic should have the choice to Enable TargetTrend as well as on the Traffic page as long as your TargetTrend capable traffic device is connected and configured properly.

Let us know if you have additional questions. It is always best to contact us directly at [email protected] for questions like this.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Steve,

Thank you for the explanation on all parts. I went back to the hanger and in the air for a bit more testing. You are correct on GPS coupled approached, it worked as expected. I believe my mistake yesterday was that I had not set the altitude bug correctly and I believe the A/P wants to fly straight till it reaches the pre-selected altitude and then continue.
I also found the HSI heading issue which was under the PFD display and not DISPLAY configuration

But still have issues with SMART airspace which I do see the option but it is grayed out and I cannot enable/disable it.

As for TargetTrend, that option does not exist in my setup when I go to the Setup MAP and then traffic tab.

Lastly, for the Cloudtops forecast and lighting, I see the tabs but it says ?Waiting for Data.? I let it on this screen for more than 15 minutes to see if it refreshes but it did not.

But still have issues with SMART airspace which I do see the option but it is grayed out and I cannot enable/disable it.
Hello Mehrdad,

The Smart Airspace selection is always grayed out if the Map style is set to IFR instead of VFR since IFR flights don't have the same operational concerns with airspace.

Please contact us to discuss any remaining items.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Mehrdad,

The Smart Airspace selection is always grayed out if the Map style is set to IFR instead of VFR since IFR flights don't have the same operational concerns with airspace.

Please contact us to discuss any remaining items.

Thanks,
Steve

Thank you again Steve, it makes sense now.
I will call tomorrow as I have a few screen shots of the remaining item.

Please follow up here with your findings on the waiting for data issue. I see the same thing.

For you guys that are not seeing the new weather products, are you using a Blue Tooth connection to the weather receiver? Are you waiting long enough for the update rate?

Connect Bluetooth

I find I have to go to the G3X setup screen on startup to reconnect the Bluetooth to the 39, it doesn't seem to want to reconnect by itself.

Steve

For you guys that are not seeing the new weather products, are you using a Blue Tooth connection to the weather receiver? Are you waiting long enough for the update rate?

I get my weather from the XPNDR ADSB (45R), no Bluetooth for that setup and I have waited at least 15 minutes or so to see if I get the update.

I get my weather from the XPNDR ADSB (45R), no Bluetooth for that setup and I have waited at least 15 minutes or so to see if I get the update.

Garmin has mentioned several times recently that the current firmware in the G3X Touch only supports these new FIS-B products over Blue Tooth. No hardwired connection support "yet".....

Check out the bottom of this post: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1335260&postcount=1

This is likely why you are not seeing the new products.

Last edited:
I find I have to go to the G3X setup screen on startup to reconnect the Bluetooth to the 39, it doesn't seem to want to reconnect by itself.

Steve
Hello Steve,

Page 293 of the current Rev. L G3X Touch Pilot Guide explains how to enable Automatic Reconnect on the Bluetooth setup page for a device that you wish to automatically reconnect at each power up.

It is always better to contact us directly for product support.

Thanks,
Steve

Garmin has mentioned several times recently that the current firmware in the G3X Touch only supports these new FIS-B products over Blue Tooth. No hardwired connection support "yet".....

Check out the bottom of this post: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1335260&postcount=1

This is likely why you are not seeing the new products.

You are correct, after talking to Garmin support, they indicated that the new/additional weather which became available thru SW update v8.2 is available only on Bluetooth for the time being and not RS232. They indicated that they are working on making it available on RS232 as well but it may take some time.
So for those who have their XPDR (45R) connected thru hardwire, you can go to Bluetooth setting, and pair with the XPDR. At least in my case that I have a GTN650, I had to accept such pairing on the GTN for the G3X to connect correctly.

This should fix the issue of waiting for data for cloud tops and lighting.

Back