Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-11-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroDog View Post
As I understand it, you put the film on bare aluminum?

Jerre
I did, to save weight, cost and time. Corrosion is the only unknown. Time will tell. So far so good. Iím satisfied.

Bevan

Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada
Old 01-11-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahrens View Post
Well Bruce I took your advice. After finishing the oil door I was going to wrap the empennage fairing but I decided to have a go at the upper cowling. Moving to a much larger peice of vinyl was a little more difficult than I had imagined. The backing material that is removed is fairly thick and does not want to bend. I was hesistant to remove all the backing for fear the vinyl would stick to itself. It did anyway and much like duck tape, it really sticks. There is a happy place in there somewhere where just enough backing is removed to allow applying the vinyl and removing too much.

All that said about 1/3 of the way into this I knew it was going to get pulled off. The material is relatively strong, it will stretch and it will shrink. It will also tear, especially when heated or over stretched. Long story short I had some small pock marks of damage that I wasn't satisfied leaving on the aircraft. Once that decision was made I just made this a learning project working on technique, how much heat was too much and how to work compound curves.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

You can see I pushed the material too hard. This was after deciding to replace the material.

More at http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displa...g=251985&row=2
A little off topic, but...

These pictures remind me of many Monokote covering sessions on my R/C airplanes. I know several guys who don't like it, but I actually enjoy working with Monokote. Heat it and stretch it around compound curves and it'll lay flat and look just like paint. Great stuff if you take the time to learn how to work with it...just like the vinyls here.
VAF #136
N424LZ Reserved
Old 01-12-2018, 09:44 AM

Default Wrapping my RV-14A

I've been wrapping my RV-14A. Learned a lot in the process. Seams are your friend, especially on compound curves. There aesthetically acceptable if place wisely. I have a few areas I need to re-do (empennage fairing and top cowl) now that I've learned the importance of seams =)

Powder Springs, GA
2018 Dues Paid
RV-14A (N214WJ) - Flying since Sept 2017
RV-7A (N211WJ) Flying since 2009 (SOLD)
RV-7A (N132RD) bought flying 2014 (SOLD)

KPUJ (Silver Comet Field)
Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/jmsolomon2000

RV-14 Build Log: http://rv14.jaredsolomon.net
Old 01-13-2018, 09:07 PM

Jared,

I would interested in reading about your process to wrap the spinner. If you are willing to share
Old 01-14-2018, 08:40 AM

Default Spinner Seam Layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahrens View Post
Jared,

I would interested in reading about your process to wrap the spinner. If you are willing to share
I broke it down into a pie. I found it to difficult to wrap to much of the compound curve without stretching the vinyl too much and causing discoleration. I'm use Avery SW900 for the Orange. This particular color from Avery looses it's color very easy if stretched too much. I could have probably gotten away with a few less seams with a different color from Avery that didn't discolor so much when stretched.

Powder Springs, GA
2018 Dues Paid
RV-14A (N214WJ) - Flying since Sept 2017
RV-7A (N211WJ) Flying since 2009 (SOLD)
RV-7A (N132RD) bought flying 2014 (SOLD)

KPUJ (Silver Comet Field)
Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/jmsolomon2000

RV-14 Build Log: http://rv14.jaredsolomon.net
Old 01-14-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
I'm strongly considering a large vinyl accent graphic in addition to two painted primary colors (white and black).

How easily does the stuff come off if I want to repair or change colors?
Depends. Time since application, vinyl quality/thickness, and sun exposure seem to be the big variables.

We peel a lot of truck graphics at the store. Quality vinyl, 3 years old, not too bad. Cheap vinyl, 5+ years old, a real PITA. I've tried every method you can imagine....heat, chemical, water blast, etc. Fresh vinyl comes off in sheets. Old vinyl comes off in little pieces.

Keep in mind that truck vinyl is mostly installed on vertical panels. Horizontal panels will age faster.

Have you seen cabover Isuzu or Chevy G3500's in an Aaron's or Rent-a-Center wrap? The 2011 off-lease units we processed last year took three man days per truck, minimum.

Aluminum truck bodies are built with pre-painted white panels 4 feet wide. Being a production item, paint adhesion is pretty good. No often, but sometimes we'll pull paint off a panel when peeling vinyl.

Opinion: I wouldn't hesitate to install quality vinyl as trim over quality paint, but I'd peel and replace it as a proactive maintenance item at some point in the future, while it would still come off without issue.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:09 AM

Dan, I think the big difference for an RV wrap compared to a truck, is that the RV will likely spend more of its time in a hangar away from UV. So on that front, you'd probably be better off for longevity.

(still considering vinyl in future, but haven't pulled the trigger and bought any yet)
Old 01-15-2018, 10:47 AM

Default Seams

How visible are the seams? Can you get a close-up pic?
Picture log: http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...8tor215/RV-9A/
Old 01-15-2018, 06:31 PM

Iím in the middle of a wrap myself I did the wheel pants first figured it was the hardest part. The upper cow was pretty tough too. Did it inkne piece though and with a good post heat seems to be staying. (Although the inside of the air inlets were done separately of the outside )

I have a scoop on my lower cow and and trying to figure out how many pieces to use canít do that in one thatís for sure.

While I'm not a builder if I happen to give advice , I will not be responsible for damage to equipment, your ego, parts, world wide power outages, spontaneously generated black holes, planetary disruptions, or personal injury that may result from the use of this advice.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8torTom View Post
How visible are the seams? Can you get a close-up pic?
No visible lines other than one on the bottom of each wing and the lines of colour transitions.

Bevan.
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada