What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

200 hp in 6A

csgj

Hi
New kid on the RV list
Looking at different built Rv's to buy
Looks like the -6a is the best value
My question is: How many of you have a 200hp angle valve/CS prop in a 6a and are they happy with set up? (extra weight vs more hp, CG issues, landing problems, aerobatics)
Any safety issues since Van never recommended the 200hp in the -6 and only in the -7?
Saw some previous posts but am still confused with the pros and cons as compared to the 180hp?
Thanks
Craig:)

craig,

welcome to vaf, your 1st post.try a search for your info also, you may find some help there to. im sure it has been done, even been a 540 in one, called a super 6. im on my second o-360 180 hp and love it. good luck. dont wait too long and miss any flying.
sr71blackbird.gif

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Hi New kid on the RV list
Looking at different built Rv's to buy
Looks like the -6a is the best value
My question is: How many of you have a 200hp angle valve/CS prop in a 6a and are they happy with set up?
Craig:)

Craig, welcome to VAF :)

A good buddy did this to his 6a, it started life with a parallel valve engine, and he installed a hot rod angle valve engine.

He loved it-----There is a write up on the plane from the CAFE foundation that you might enjoy reading.

http://cafefoundation.org/v2/pdf_cafe_apr/RV-6A Final APR.pdf

There is a few issues that come up with this change, for one thing, the cowling needs to be reworked to fit the engine, or now folks can just buy the cowl from James, which is based on the one Steve created.

Good luck,

Last edited:
Craig, welcome to VAF :)

A good buddy did this to his 6a, it started life with a parallel valve engine, and he installed a hot rod angle valve engine.

He loved it-----There is a write up on the plane from the CAFE foundation that you might enjoy reading.

http://cafefoundation.org/v2/pdf_cafe_apr/RV-6A Final APR.pdf

There is a few issues that come up with this change, for one thing, the cowling needs to be reworked to fit the engine, or now folks can just buy the cowl from James, which is based on the one Steve created.

Good luck,

Well, that link got me this.........

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /v2/pdf_cafe_apr/RV-6A Final APR.pdf on this server.
Apache/2.0.54 Server at cafefoundation.org Port 80

Oh well!!

Back