What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR training..back at it.

miyu1975

Well Known Member
So I have restarted my IFR training officially. I am currently studying again for the written that I took and passed 6 years ago (prior to RV building) Looking in my logbook I had acquired 27.5 hrs under the hood with a CFII...then I started building my RV7. I figure I will fly with a safety pilot and relearn much of it and then get a CFII to finish up.

Now that I am starting fresh in the book again, my first thought is that is seems silly to be learning about gyros just so I can fly behind my glass panel. I wonder how many other old stuff I will have to learn about to pass the test/requirments?

NDB

You will have to know about NDB approaches although you may not need to fly one on the checkride if there is not one in the area or plane not so equipped. IIRC you need to fly three different types of approaches. I did a VOR, LOC/DME & GPS

You will have to know about NDB approaches although you may not need to fly one on the checkride if there is not one in the area or plane not so equipped. IIRC you need to fly three different types of approaches. I did a VOR, LOC/DME & GPS

The requirement is for one precision approach - either an ILS, or an RNAV(gps) to LPV minimums - and two different types of non-precision approaches.

The requirement is for one precision approach - either an ILS, or an RNAV(gps) to LPV minimums - and two different types of non-precision approaches.

Right...I recall being required to shoot three approaches for the check ride...I planned on LOC, VOR, ILS.., as I am installing an SL30 for these and will not have an ifr approved gps on board...at least not for a while.

IFR checkride in my 6A

Just passed the checkride in my 6A.
Training was in a Cessna 3 years ago and due to other commitments (like playing and going to OSH) I put off the checkride until the LAST possible day since I took the written test 2 years ago!
The written test is so out of date.
NDB? Never heard of it?!:eek:
Since I have a 430W and a VOR/ILS, my approaches were a RNAV, ILS, and a VOR approach, as well as holding and a procedure turn.
I feel your pain!

Just passed my written

Sorry I have to boast. Today I just passed my Instrument written with a score of 92. I have been using the flight sim and will probably get my practical right at the 40 hours of instrument time. I cant stress enough how the flight sims help. Back to the written, there was a new question on the written that does not appear in any variation on the practice tests; I could not find a right answer so guessed and it was scored incorrect. After reviewing for an hour tonight, I still cant figure out the right answer.

Question

Bob you really want to know?
It was an approach question using a figure in the ASA IFR question book. But this one now asks if you are on heading 255 to the RNAV approach, how would you handle the approach and what altitudes would you fly. The first and last says to do a PT turn, and the crossing altitudes of the approach match the chart, the second response says to do no PT, but the approach crossing altitudes are 100 feet higher than the minimums on the chart. I chose the no PT response, but got it marked wrong. The chart clearly says NoPT from that direction.

I got my instrument instructor certificate CFII in 1982 and at that time I had to learn about and demonstrate things that I would never need to know or do. That is just the way things work out with the FAA. They are very slow to change things. Sometimes that is good and sometimes that is bad.
Good luck with your training!

Last edited:
Back