What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Fuel Tank Flop Tube?

MS19087

Well Known Member
Since this aircraft is capable of aerobatics, is a flop tube included as part of the kit? And if not, are folks adding them?

Last edited:
So if it is not included, are folks adding them??

Just curious as the other aerobatic aircraft in the "family" have flop tube installed . . .

After making my previous post, I looked on the plans. They show just a solid finger strainer, just like the RV-10 has. Hopefully someone from Van's will chime in and answer your question.

You don't need a flop tube to be aerobatic. You only need one if you intend to have sustained inverted flight. You should also have inverted oil and the proper throttle body, injector, or carb.

You don't need a flop tube to be aerobatic. You only need one if you intend to have sustained inverted flight. You should also have inverted oil and the proper throttle body, injector, or carb.

What Jon said.

Any aerobatic maneuvers that can be completed while maintaining at least a bit on the positive G side, can be performed without a flop tube (and as Jon mentioned, it takes a lot more than a flop tube to give you sustained inverted flight capability).

It's true that many RV's have been built with a flop tube, but it is still a small percentage of the fleet. And of those that have one, I believe many of them where built with it because of a misunderstanding by the builder regarding what it does (I know of RV's flying with a flop tube that have carburated engines... totally useless).

In the current design configuration, the RV-14 kit does not have provision for a flop tube.

Thanks for the clarification!

I know of several RVs with flop tubes and no other provisions for inverted oil etc.

Thanks

Header Tank

Hi Guys
Instead of a flop tube can anyone please comment on a header tank?
Please be gentle as I am a new builder but my notes/thoughts on inverted flight:-
  • Inverted oil system is my must have (I have flown c152 aerobatic so I know inverted oil is not required). I would not fit an inverted fuel system without inv oil, but inv oil without inv fuel is my fallback.
  • Using a header tank needs no changes to wing tanks
  • Header tank of even just 2L would give sustained inverted flight for over 30 seconds
  • Extra maintenance only required on the header tank flop tubes (if header flop is required)
  • On the down side because its a low wing a electric fuel pump is a must. But I am not sure yet if 2 pumps are needed? I plan to find out and fly safe.
  • I was wondering if I can buy or have a header tank built that does not need a flop tube? If the design is right, but I am still looking and asking questions?
Ive been looking but I've not seen a how to do on building an end to end system.

In my opinion... Wholesale changes to the design of the fuel system should be avoided at all costs. I specifically dislike a header tank in a low wing because of the problem of safely getting fuel to the tank without added weight and complexity.

Adding a flop tube is very easy. It can be done to one tank so if something goes wrong with it in flight you can switch tanks.

Hi Guys
Instead of a flop tube can anyone please comment on a header tank?
Please be gentle as I am a new builder but my notes/thoughts on inverted flight:-
  • Inverted oil system is my must have (I have flown c152 aerobatic so I know inverted oil is not required). I would not fit an inverted fuel system without inv oil, but inv oil without inv fuel is my fallback.
  • Using a header tank needs no changes to wing tanks
  • Header tank of even just 2L would give sustained inverted flight for over 30 seconds
  • Extra maintenance only required on the header tank flop tubes (if header flop is required)
  • On the down side because its a low wing a electric fuel pump is a must. But I am not sure yet if 2 pumps are needed? I plan to find out and fly safe.
  • I was wondering if I can buy or have a header tank built that does not need a flop tube? If the design is right, but I am still looking and asking questions?
Ive been looking but I've not seen a how to do on building an end to end system.

In my opinion... Wholesale changes to the design of the fuel system should be avoided at all costs. I specifically dislike a header tank in a low wing because of the problem of safely getting fuel to the tank without added weight and complexity.

Adding a flop tube is very easy. It can be done to one tank so if something goes wrong with it in flight you can switch tanks.

I didn't consider the negative design consequences and rather had only thought it was an improvement with a $ cost. Thanks for the heads up.
As its only 1 wing tank it sounds fine to add and maintain. Can you or anyone else please let us know roughly whats involved based on your rv-14 plans? Eg Whats the rough length required and is there a kit we can buy that suits?
That way I can look at my plans and plan ahead. Thanks.

Back