What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DuaL EFII Ignition-Single or Dual ECU?

csgj

Ok think I am close to picking a EI system for my 6A.
For the people that picked the Dual EFII ignition system, I would like to know if you got the Single or Optional Dual ECU?
I understand the redundancy with the Dual ECU but how many of you have the Single ECU and are comfortable with the reliability when flying over water, mountains, IFR, etc, and why?
The owner, Robert, said the split is about 60% Dual and 40% Single ECU for the Dual ignition system
Just trying to justify not having to put out another $900+ for the Dual setup if I dont fly IFR or at night but do cross mountains and water at times:confused:
Thanks
Craig

It sounds to me like you know what the risks are. When weighing such things I usually try to ask myself one question....how much am I risking vs how much I am saving. I fly single engine aircraft. I could fly twins instead, I am adding to my risk but saving a boatload of money...enough that I wouldn't fly at all if twins were my only option. So, I assume the added risk because not doing so would break my bank or put me out of flying. How much will that $900 affect your ability to fly...and how often do they fail?

Over the Rocky Mountains on one ignition? I don't think I would...if the cost of redundancy is $900.

Last edited:
As I understand it, the standard "Dual" system (replacing both mags) uses one ECU and pick-up which offers no redundacy if the ECU or sensor fails. So if I was installing a dual system it would have to be with the optional dual ECU, sensors.

If you're replacing just one mag then the single system would be ok as you still have a back up.

My motto on electronics: it's definately going to fail at some point, it's just a matter of when :eek:

EFII choices

I just visited EFII while I was out in California last week. I met Robert and after talking to him I purchased the dual injection with the dual ECUs for my IO-540. For the four cylinder engines you get most of the advantage, it seems, with one ECU. But obviously two ECUs are better. I was very impressed with Robert and what he has there. The machined parts were well designed and beautifully manufactured. The ECUs are made by one of our RV guys (Ross Farnum) sp? These ECUs have an excellent reputation for robustness. It was a man cave hanger with computer controlled lathes and CAD/CAMs. Even had a RV-7 hanging from the ceiling. I was impressed and Robert was very gracious.

I think after selling my new mags and shower of sparks box I should be able to recoup 2/3 of the cost of the dual ignition/dual ECUs and after 200 hours the fuel savings will make up the rest. After that it will be free money!

EFII

I'm using the single ECU with my application. I thought about going with the duel ECU but after talking to Robert I felt confident that the single ECU along with all the other redundancies that I've incorporated (duel batteries, duel alternators, duel electric fuel pumps, and Protec Bus Manager) will provide a very robust fuel injection and ignition system. Robert is a great guy to work with and his customer service is second to none....I would highly recommend him and his EFII setup to anyone who's wanting a modern-day fuel injecton and ignision system.

Mark

From my talks with Robert, it seems the ECU isn't a likely failure point. So you kinda of have to decide how much that risk is to you. I will be doing a single ECU on my -4.

Back