What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

dimpling

dspender

Well Known Member
Getting ready to purchase the 14. I saw on one builder site not to dimple the wing ribs or brackets in the area of the wing walk doublers. What is the wing walk doublers?

By using two skin in that area!

When you enter & exit the cockpit you stand on the inboard wing root area. So at that location the wing skin is twice as thick. This is accomplished by doubling the thickness of the wing skin by adding another peice of aluminum skin at that area.:cool:

Good info!

Dennis after reading the thread you started in the general discussion form I have a couple of recommendations.
First join EAA if you haven't already. Also go to this web link and start watching the videos there. They are short and contain a wealth of info for first time builders. Next see if there is an EAA chapter near your home town that you can join, the members there will have a wealth of knowledge to. Good luck!;)
http://www.eaavideo.org/channel.aspx?ch=ch_hints_general

Dennis after reading the thread you started in the general discussion form I have a couple of recommendations.
First join EAA if you haven't already. Also go to this web link and start watching the videos there. They are short and contain a wealth of info for first time builders. Next see if there is an EAA chapter near your home town that you can join, the members there will have a wealth of knowledge to. Good luck!;)
http://www.eaavideo.org/channel.aspx?ch=ch_hints_general

Very good advice for first time builders...

Wing Walk

First of all, I agree 100% with John's suggestions.

Second, since you asked about wing walk and I'm working on that now... I went out and took a picture. The wing walk doublers can be seen on the wing. Skin goes over the top.
2092060.jpg

Since you have all been so kind and considerate with my question, I feel safe to dig a little deeper. Why, in this location, would you not dimple the ribs or brackets?
Also I am an EAA member, I have watched many of the EAA videos, and I have variously attended my local, well managed, EAA chapter. My attendance has been spotty as I feel a bit disconnected not being a builder yet. Once I have a project in hand, I think my sense of belonging will grow. I am visiting Van's factory Mar 22 for a tour and inspection of the 14. In the meantime, I am living vicariously through all of your experiences and good graces.

Thick or Thin that is the question!

It's all about the thickness of the material you are working with.
Rule of thumb is thin skin/material you dimple, thick material (two skin thickness/wing walk) you counter sink.;)
Watch this video here, listen 1 min 30 seconds in and he will tell you the max thickness to dimple.
http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=1485316077

Last edited:
And to further clarify your question, you won't dimple the ribs there because the wing walk doubler sheet metal is not dimpled. Since it will be flat on the bottom, and no protruding dimple, you will not want to dimple the ribs. No need for dimples in the ribs there. This also applies to the aileron bracket at the inboard rib. I think Van's actually indicates to dimple that bracket but those holes are also countersunk in the skin above.

Back