What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GNS-480 Loses Button Operation

Jim P

Well Known Member
Anyone with a Garmin 480 experience loss of button functionality? I had the unit boot up, but then was non-responsive to any button inputs. Just curious if anyone had experienced the same faults.

Jim

Happened to my 430w

Only thing that could be done was to send it back to Garmin to change the faceplate and buttons. $1000 flat rate:(

Sorry Jim but I just noticed your post today.

Reseat the 480 - it may take 8 or 10 times but that should fix it. I had that same problem when I first powered mine up and I was told by the avionics shop I bought it from to reseat it about 20 times - sure enough that fixed it. Any problem you ever have with the 480 should go thru the reseating process before you do anything else to it. The rack it fits in hits the front faceplate before the contacts in the back seat good - it wouldn't hurt to file off a 32nd or so of the front of the rack but be careful and don't get metal filings in anything.

I hope this helps.
Danny

Only thing that could be done was to send it back to Garmin to change the faceplate and buttons. $1000 flat rate:(

Ditto on my buddy Craig Jace's 430...ditto on Garmin and the $1000 flat rate :( Rosie

Back