What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best EAA course to take for a new guy

csgj

Hi
I plan to buy a already built rv in the near future.
Would it benefit me to attend a EAA course such as the " RV assembly course" to learn some of the sheet metal work and workings of the RV?
Appears that the course will talk about rigging and painting and other topics that might not pertain to an already built RV. Would this course help me in learning to do some of my own repairs? Anyone take this course?
Or would I learn just as much as getting the plane and learn as I go?
There is also a LSA repairman course. Wondering,even though the course is for LSA's, it might give me a better feel of how to do an annual and look for problems when I have my own plane.
Thanks!
Craig

Never hurts to take courses like that...you will learn some valuable skills that will certainly pertain to an already built RV. Also check out the Hints for Homebuilders video site on EAA's website. Awesome stuff there!!

I don't know if you are going to Oshkosh or not, but if you are, take the sheet metal course there. While it is very basic, it is free. You can ask all kinds of questions, and you will learn more than you would guess. I still have the assembly I made, and it was all I did before jumping into building my 9A. Heck, that is enough to plan on going to Oshkosh. Do it!!

Bob

I took the sheet metal course 3 years ago prior to building. It is basic, but taught me enough on how to dimple and shoot rivets.

I took the RV assembly course and learned a lot. Better to butcher the practice kit, then your new tail pieces! The course is mainly centered around building the practice kit airfoil thingy. Takes longer than you think it will, but it builds your confidence and will give you an appreciation for buying quality tools. Was it worth the money? Maybe... A day or two with any current builder would probably be just as productive, or even more so with the ability to ask lots of questions and get answers from someone who has been there, done that.

sheet metal course

Take the sheet metal course. It is well worth the time and money. While it is
basic, you will probably come out of it with several very useful nuggets and you will have a better idea of your tool requirements. Dan Checkoway taught
my course and did a great job.
Mark Wyss
Cincinnati
RV 4 finish
painting
wiring...home stretch
moving to hanger in July

I took the fiberglass course and didn't really think it was worth the time and effort. I got more and better information right here on the forum.

Back