What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

dirt floor hangar

csgj

Hi
Just rented a dirt floor hangar in anticipation of buying an rv :D and wanted to know if anyone had any cheap ideas for covering the floor?
Was looking into vinyl interlocking tiles but wondered if there is any other way to go?
Since I am renting, concrete is not an option and just laying plywood would not be aesthetically pleasing to me
Live in dry southern ca
thanks
Craig

Go to one of the local carpet stores, and see if you can get some take up scrap carpet. They will usually give it away just for your hauling it off.

Look for something with short nap, and tight weave.

I had a gravel-floor hangar for a while. Fortunately the previous tenant there had laid a steel channel to the back for the tailwheel. Made a difference.

Dave

A Word of Caution!

With a dirt floor, make sure you have LOTS and LOTS of ventilation. The humidity coming up out of the ground as the hangar heats up in the sun will create lots of condensation.

I am getting ready for dirt floor hangar too. Looking for inexpensive solutions to separate a chicken coop place.

Friend did this: Heavy pvc tarp (silo plastic from farm and fleet) for vapor barrier, then cheap indoor/outdoor carpet. worked pretty well, just do not spill MEK on it:eek:

I would go to a horse & feed store. They have heavy rubber mats I believe are about 6'x6'x1/2". They are made to take weight and you can align them together. They are really heavy duty. We use them in the mid section of our barn. They can be pricey but you could probably sell them back once the need is over. You could probably do your hangar for about $500. They are very durable.

Last edited:
deck carpet

IMG_1871.jpg
Hi
Just rented a dirt floor hangar in anticipation of buying an rv :D and wanted to know if anyone had any cheap ideas for covering the floor?
quote]

Craig, this is what I used for my hangar...have had it for 9 years now...works great, cheap. It is indoor/outdoor carpet or deck carpet....comes in 12ft width so you could seam it if you wanted to do the whole hangar.....put a cup and pin in and you could practice putt when its raining....:D

Offer

Maybe it's not possible but maybe you could offer the owner to pay for a nice concrete floor in lieu of rent until the difference is made up.

Were I the owner, I'd take you up on that in a heartbeat. The owner may even be able to take some or all of the expense of improvement off of his/her income tax. Of course, if your owner is a municipality then this probably won't work.

deck carpet

Looks nice. Where did you buy yours?

IMG_1871.jpg
Hi
quote]

Craig, this is what I used for my hangar...have had it for 9 years now...works great, cheap. It is indoor/outdoor carpet or deck carpet....comes in 12ft width so you could seam it if you wanted to do the whole hangar.....put a cup and pin in and you could practice putt when its raining....:D

Concrete

No he will not do it
Hangars may be moved in 2-3yrs

Maybe it's not possible but maybe you could offer the owner to pay for a nice concrete floor in lieu of rent until the difference is made up.

Were I the owner, I'd take you up on that in a heartbeat. The owner may even be able to take some or all of the expense of improvement off of his/her income tax. Of course, if your owner is a municipality then this probably won't work.

Local building supply store

Looks nice. Where did you buy yours?

I bought it at a local lumber store in Saskatoon Canada, but any store that sells lumber and building supplies will have it...Usually comes in either brown or green....

Back