What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Irritant

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
When you get old it is easy to become irritated with small things. One of these is the rate that my RV12 tires lose air! Sitting here in my garage it is easy to add, but I am feeling I would ignore it when they are hidden by wheel pants. Somewhere earlier there was a discussion on replacing these tubes with some other brand that don't leak, at least not as much. Can anyone share their experiences with this?

I have had my -12 for a year now, and I never added 1 lb of air. Its in for annual now, and I will pump them to spec, but I am pleased with mine. It's an ELSA with original stock tubes & tires.

The various brands of tubes that are advertised to not leak rapidly seem to work. I have Michelin's in my Cessna 180.

Years ago I explored different gasses that had thicker molecules, figuring that would slow the leakage, and for one reason or another rejected them all.

Dave

As a data point, on my 9A with Vans-supplied wheels/tires/tubes, I originally filled them with air over a year ago and haven't had to add any since.

For many years now (can't remember when the change was actually made) all RV kits have included leak-stop style tubes.

Now THAT would explain the answers to the question. I took delivery of my kit 5 ys and 3 months ago, so I think I can safely say I have the old leaky tubes. Can I just order from Vans and be assured of getting the leak stop tubes?

For many years now (can't remember when the change was actually made) all RV kits have included leak-stop style tubes.

Last edited:
I think leaking air valves may be part of the tube leakage problem. The valve stems come equipped with nice metal caps with gasketed air seals. Occasionally, when I remove the cap, I can hear a tiny puff of air. By either tightening up the valve core or replacing the core entirely, the valve leakage problem usually goes away. I use the old trick of applying a thin coat of spit on the valve stem opening after I have filled the tube to verify that the valve is not leaking any air. Hey, it works for me. :p

Don - just call Desser Tire or Desser.com and order Michilin Airstop tubes. The arn't cheap but they are effective. Of course you can always go to tractor supply and just get some of that green snot that comes in a bottle to put in your tires. Rhumor has it that it will also cause your tires to self balance!!!!!!!!

Now THAT would explain the answers to the question. I took delivery of my kit 5 ys and 3 months ago, so I think I can safely say I have the old leaky tubes. Can I just order from Vans and be assured of getting the leak stop tubes?

By many years I meant well before the RV-12 kit was available.
Probably 10 years ago or more.

That was my first suspicion as well, but the cores and caps are airtight.

I think leaking air valves may be part of the tube leakage problem. The valve stems come equipped with nice metal caps with gasketed air seals. Occasionally, when I remove the cap, I can hear a tiny puff of air. By either tightening up the valve core or replacing the core entirely, the valve leakage problem usually goes away. I use the old trick of applying a thin coat of spit on the valve stem opening after I have filled the tube to verify that the valve is not leaking any air. Hey, it works for me. :p

Don - just call Desser Tire or Desser.com and order Michilin Airstop tubes. The arn't cheap but they are effective. Of course you can always go to tractor supply and just get some of that green snot that comes in a bottle to put in your tires. Rhumor has it that it will also cause your tires to self balance!!!!!!!!

I can't tell you why, but I can tell you from experince that the Michelin's hold air much better than the "other" brand of Leak Stop tubes. Yes, the Michelin's are expensive, but not by that much more than the others - and the difference in air holding capability is remarkable. When I spend as much for a tube as we do in aviation, spending a few dollars more to make it so I don't have to add air frequently is worth it.

Paul

I've used the green shot stuff in bicycle tires, it works!

I can't tell you why, but I can tell you from experince that the Michelin's hold air much better than the "other" brand of Leak Stop tubes. Yes, the Michelin's are expensive, but not by that much more than the others - and the difference in air holding capability is remarkable. When I spend as much for a tube as we do in aviation, spending a few dollars more to make it so I don't have to add air frequently is worth it.

Paul

I just replaced tires and tubes doing that annual conduction inspection and went with the Michelin tubes.
Seems catiwompis but the tubes cost more than the tires.:)

Well Desser sure has the best price on Michelin tubes that I can find, probably will order a set.. Somehow I just cannot get comfortable with the stopleak stuff, don't know why.

Slightly off the original topic, but I have a 25 yr old kit, so 25 yr old tubes. Will hopefully fly in a year :)o). Should the tubes be replaced i.e. Do they dry up abd crack over time?

Maybe, maybe not, are you feeling lucky? My problem is not age, but just leaky tubes. It has been sitting here in my garage on the gear, no wheel pants on, and they leak badly. I just cannot envision having to check the air every time I fly, in fact I wouldn't, and then would ruin things rolling on low tires.

I used to have this problem, then I started the following fix (YMMV): For new tubes I unscrew the valve (with a valve removal tool) and there is a little oring inside the valve. I rub some fuel lube on that oring then reinstall the valve.

No nasty green slime and no slow leaks. Tires go between full annuals with probably only one other addition of air per year.

Spit

Agree that the valve is probably the culprit in most leaky tires.
I never thought about fuel lube but have always used "spit" before reinstalling a valve.
Funny thing is, 2 of my 3 tires hold air for months and one of them needs a refill every 6 weeks or so and all 3 are getting the same treatment:confused:

I will try that, it is easy and quick and might work for me.

I used to have this problem, then I started the following fix (YMMV): For new tubes I unscrew the valve (with a valve removal tool) and there is a little oring inside the valve. I rub some fuel lube on that oring then reinstall the valve.

No nasty green slime and no slow leaks. Tires go between full annuals with probably only one other addition of air per year.

Aircraft Spruce sells Fuel Lube. Search for EZ TURN LUBRICANT. It is a fuel resistant grease. I use it on the gas cap "O" ring.

If you're able to fly at least once a week, shouldn't be that much of a problem. I "maybe" have to fill mine maybe every 6 to 8 months. Just like your car, don't drive it for a while---the tires go flat.

Back