What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 Trip DFW to Florida Panhandle & East Fl

Texas Flyer

Planning on taking trip from Dallas, TX to Gulf Shores, Alabama, Destin, Florida & possibly New Smyrna Beach, Fl. in September or October.
Stopping at Lulu's Rest in Gulf Shores and Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola.
Any RV Hotels along the way for two non-smokers or affordable hotels?
The VAF Hotel Directory seems to be out of date.
Any suggestions to make this a memorable trip?

Norwood's Restaurant New Smyrna Beach Fl

Thanks. Added Norwood's Seafood Restaurant (Norwoods.com) to the list.

Since 1946. 30,000 bottles of wine, free Friday wine tastings.
Blue Crab Cakes, Bacon Wrapped Scallops, Coconut Shrimp, Blackened Grouper, Almond Crusted Hog, Shrimp & Grits, Angel Hair Seafood Pasta, Bolognese Veal/Beef/Pork, Stuffed Flounder, Lobster Pot Pie.... Wow!

Last edited:
Destin

Made the trip to Destin this summer. If you haven't flown in before make sure you get a copy of the sectional now and look at the information online about the Eglin VFR corridors (photos, online training class, etc). Can't get to Destin without using the corridors & Eglin Approach. Once you are in corridors the flying is awesome.

I did the trip from Destin to ECP (Panama City Northwest Florida Beaches) via the beach route (at or below 1000') a couple of days to pick people up and it was awesome.

Tied down at Destin Jet (DTS). Call ahead to check but I think it was $10 or $15 a night with 2 nights waived for fuel purchase. I rented a car through Hertz.com and picked up at Destin Jet at a great rate for the area.

Andy

RV Hotel at X35 is always available. We're about 2/3rds of hue way from Destin to New Smyrna beach.

You might also enjoy Cedar Key (KCDK). Nice little fishing village with great seafood. The airport shuttle is a lady with a van that monitors the Unicom frequency.

Thanks

Jesse, Andy, & Arlen.
Appreciate the tips.
Sounds like flying to Destin will be educational and a little challenging, but worth the effort.
Cedar Key looks intriguing with a lot of history and interesting tales.
I'm sure taking a tour of Saint Aviation would be interesting, too.
Getting excited!
Thanks

quote,The VAF Hotel Directory seems to be out of date.

where do see this info? mine is very current.:)

RV Hotel

Turbo,
Perhaps on another trip we can make it south to Stuart, Fl.
I really enjoy your posts with all your travels with your friends laughing and enjoying your company.
You seem to be a caring and giving person.
Would love to fly in your helicopter one day.
Until then,
Thanks

Last edited:
When I visit that area I prefer to stay at Milton, FL (2R4). No overnight charges, inexpensive fuel to include MOGAS and a great atmosphere. If you do, make sure you read the details for arrival since it is extremely close to Whiting Field NAS (KNDZ) and surrounded by lots of special use airspace.

I recommend eating at Ollie's Neighborhood Grill. My wife loves the Shrimp Pesto Pasta while I just go for the chicken wings.

:cool:

Last edited:
Shrimp Pesto Pasta at Ollie's Neighborhood Grill, Milton, FL

GalinHdz,
Now your talking!!
Specific food recommendations at specific favorite restaurant, plus cheap fuel.
Thanks a bunch!

www.OlliesNeighborhood.com
Beer Shrooms, Redneck Sushi, Wings...(lemon pepper, rum teriyaki, mello, honey bbq, spicy p-nut, jammin Jamaican, spicy white bbq), Shrimp Dinner, Sizzlin Ribeye, New Orleans Shrimp Skewers, Drunken Catfish, Jerk Chicken, Ollie's Breast, Frit Grit Cakes, Cajun Crawfish, Spare Tire Burger

Last edited:
What about Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama?

It's possible that we will fly for two hours at a stretch to re-fuel, sight see, and to stop to eat some interesting local foods.
I remember driving through Jackson, Mississippi and had Fried Sliced Dill Pickles for the first time. They were awesome. Haven't had any as good since.
We know about Lulu's at Gulf Shores, AL, but what is your favorite thing to eat there?
Thanks

Last edited:
Lambert's is in Foley, AL. They will pick you up at the airport. The food was great, but the whole experience of the Throwed Roll is fantastic. They don't serve breakfast, but lunch and dinner they're open.

ThrowedRolls.com Foley, AL

Jesse,
Anybody that has (10) RV-10's in their hangar ought to know what they are talking about.
Looks like we will be close to Foley, so we'll put that on the wish list.

Looks like they cook up some mean Mississippi fresh farm raised Fried Catfish.
Hog Jowl JLT? Hog Jowl loaded up on Texas toast with lettuce & tomato.
Chicken Gizzards, Chicken Livers, Beef Liver & Onions, Fried Frog Legs, The Bubba Fried Bologna Sammich....lots of Southern stuff to sample.

Gaining weight just thinking about it.
Thanks.

It's only 7 -10's and a -6A. 2 flew home this afternoon and another is getting off the truck in the morning. I think my 250lbs probably more qualifies me to recommend. It is a lot of fun.

GalinHdz,
Now your talking!!
Specific food recommendations at specific favorite restaurant, plus cheap fuel.
Thanks a bunch!

www.OlliesNeighborhood.com
Beer Shrooms, Redneck Sushi, Wings...(lemon pepper, rum teriyaki, mello, honey bbq, spicy p-nut, jammin Jamaican, spicy white bbq), Shrimp Dinner, Sizzlin Ribeye, New Orleans Shrimp Skewers, Drunken Catfish, Jerk Chicken, Ollie's Breast, Frit Grit Cakes, Cajun Crawfish, Spare Tire Burger

No problem.

Now once in Florida and approaching New Smyrna Beach, I recommend a stop at Flagler County Airport (KXFL but soon to be re-identified as KFIN) for inexpensive fuel and great food at Highjackers Restaurant right on the airport. We love their hamburgers, their Mahi-Mahi sandwich, their homemade peanut-butter/chocolate pie and their homemade blueberry cheesecake.

RATS, now I am hungry again.

:cool:

If you do make it to Destin and looking for some good seafood, Dewey Destin has been around for a long time as a local favorite. Although over the past few years they have gotten well known and now have 2 locations, their food is still very good.

Flying into Destin is fairly easy as long as you talk to Eglin AirForce Base. If VFR get flight following prior to reach Destin area and have them hand you off to Eglin . . . they are usually very nice and will let you fly over the beach line at or below 500'. Very cool flight.

Dewey Destin's Harborside Restaurant

Amir,
Looks like you suggested a great restaurant with a very interesting & long family history.

www.DestinSeafood.com
Sea Trout, Grouper, Red Snapper, Flounder, Trigger, Swordfish, Cobia
Mahi Mediterranean, Sesame Crusted Seared Tuna, Sea Trout Almandine, Grouper Destin, Seared Grouper, Pecan Crusted Grouper, Snapper Mediterranean, Deweys Seafood Gumbo, Crab & Shrimp Chowder, Crab Cakes, Crab Claws, Smoked Tuna Dip, Kung Pao Oysters, Fried Shrimp & Fish, Fried Soft Shell Crab, etc. Looks like this a major fish lovers paradise.

GalinHdz,
I'm going to have to take a bus back home after trying out all these great places.

Cross City Florida was a great fuel stop.

had a minor mechanical prob there enroute to Sun and Fun that could have been a big delay, but the FBO there and the helpful folks at the duster outfit had us gassed and at Ace Hardware for a connector and on our way in short order. good food at a hotel in Cross City they recommended at the FBO too, and a crew car to get us there.

By the way, the VFR corridor is scenic and a piece of cake.

the ATC folks along the route are great, no issues with little airplanes and you might get to see F22s and F35s in and out of Eglin, possibly UNDER you, if your timing is right.

Also, if you should find it convenient to stop at X13, Carrabelle-Thompson Airport, the first hotel you come to on the way out of the airport has a courtesy car (a pickup), friendly folks, and free rides to a local (VERY local) establishment for chow. our experience in Carrabelle was nice.

Cross City & Carrabelle

Dan,
Thanks for a tip on some friendly and helpful Floridians. If we make it down to Cedar Key and Saint Aviation, we may check it out.
Carrabelle looks like a boater's and fisherman's haven. Wasn't aware of what they have to offer, so thanks for expanding ideas for our adventure.

Lulu's Seafood Restaurant & Jimmy Buffett; Gulf Shores, AL

I just found out that Lulu's is owned by Jimmy (Margaritaville) Buffett's sister, Lucy Buffett.
Interesting website, www.LuluBuffett.com, with pictures and videos telling her story from a burger shack to an amazing restaurant with 700,000 visitors a year at Gulf Shores, Alabama.
Open Daily 11 am - 9 pm. Fri/Sat 11am -10 pm
Crab Melt, Veggie Burrito, Shrimp & Grits, Fried Green Tomato BLT, L.A. (Lower Alabama) Caviar... Black-Eyed Peas in Balsamic Vinigrette, Smoked Tuna Dip, Fresh Gulf Red Snapper, Fried Oyster & Shrimp Basket, Key Lime Pie, Hot Fun Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding.
Live Music Every Day after 5:00

This will be one of our first stops.
When cooler weather arrives, our RV-6 trip will begin. Thanks for your help.

Back