What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

uAvionix buys Aerovonics (October 8, 2019)

jliltd

Well Known Member
This makes sense. Aerovonics was founded by some real smart guys with a track record in the industry and uAvionix can make full use of the ADAHRS Aerovonics has started STC-ing for the certified market. So the AV-30 and AV-20S EFIS displays are now uAvionix. And uAvionix has big plans to add a whole lot more to the already innovative and feature-rich AV-30.

News Release:

https://uavionix.com/uavionix-acquires-aerovonics/

Jim

Pricing

The acquisition is an interesting development. But I see the price for the AV-30 has gone from $1395 last week on the Aerovonics website to $1595 today on the uAvionix website.
I have also been considering the Garmin G5 which is $1249 and the Kanardia Horis which is $1139. They offer similar current functionality, though I do very much like the AV-30 appearance. Hopefully it will be price competitive in future.

True. Don't forget that the Garmin at your quoted price needs to add the connector kit ($$), the backup battery ($$$) and the GAD 13 kit ($$$$) for the same functionality. Those are included with the AV-30, which doesn't rely on a GPS signal for an attitude solution. One of the reasons the G5 certified versions cost more than the G5 Experimental versions is that the Experimental version is bare bones and the certified version includes the connector kit and backup battery. Add those up and there isn't a whole lot of difference between G5 experimental and G5 cerified; both of which are way more than the AV-30. And the G5 should have an external GPS antenna for actual IMC (required for STC'd model). That's more $$. AV 20/30 don't depend on GPS reception like the G5. That's nice to know when the DOD is jamming GPS as is often the case near military test ranges the AV units will still work. Keep in mind the GAD 13 OAT interface is still extra for both Garmin versions. In fact I think Garmin developed the the GAD 13 with OAT probe kit as a direct result of the Aerovonics AV-30 having OAT interface and data included (winds, TAS, density altitude etc). The Garmin also doesn't have built in AOA or G meter like the AV 20 and 30. Remember that the founder of Aerovonics has been involved in most of the the innovative certified glass avionics developed in the past 25 years by the likes of Bendix, Eclipse Avionics, Aspen, UPS-AT and others so this wasn't his first rodeo.

Competition is a good thing. And the devil is in the details with respect to what's included or not included in a base price.

I fly a G5 in my RV3. And an AV30 in my RV8. A Sandia Quattro in my Husky. I installed a dual G5 STC'd set up in a Piper Comanche for a friend. I installed and fly an AV-20 in a friend's Super Cub I have a GRT Mini I have experimented with in both certified and experimental aircraft. Some of these models I would not trust in IMC. Others I would. I have not seen nor heard of a Kanardia Horis until your post (sounds like the name of a Guru on the mountain). Bottom line I really, really like the Aerovonics (now uAvionix) AV series, especially coupled to an OAT probe. I would be comfortable with either Aerovonics units as an emergency backup in the soup.

I don't work or represent any of the manufacturers. YMMV.

Jim

Last edited:
AV-30

I also really really like the AV-30 and am hoping that it will continue to be suitable and available (including being price competitive) under its new owners. I was a bit surprised about the acquisition because Aerovonics seemed to have a good and clear vision/direction and there was no hint of the impending sale.

My RV-6a is going to be set up for day VFR, so the AV-30 AI would be for emergency purposes mainly. Other builders around here have just installed AP's, for a safe way to get back into clear air if need be, apart from the main purpose.

I heard about Kanardia on this forum. They are based in eastern Europe and seem well known over there, but not yet here in Australia either. They have a whole series of avionic products, all with unusual names. Would like to see first hand, I noticed they said they had a booth at Oshkosh this year.

There's also the Dynon D-100, Avmap Ultra, MGL Xtreme etc. and I've flown with the first two. However, I do like the round dials of the AV-30 (and Kanardia Horis). I'm not yet ready to install the panel so will watch a bit longer to see what happens.

Paul

Back