What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Garmin GNC 355 GPS/COM, July 2019

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Garmin announced today the GNC 355 ? a GPS navigator with Localizer Performance with Vertical (LPV) approach guidance, complete with a built-in Comm radio. With the new GNC 355, pilots can take advantage of the benefits of WAAS/SBAS GPS guidance, while also incorporating a modern Comm radio into their existing avionics stack.

edeWtgelKtbqgudMUB38ZZ4IhXwZz1OmBvrS2lBc5V5Dj3m4o2igNcx1GN6RHK2xrFHlZJCjYRQv-KWuzFObGYd-Or3IeBl0Yt8xyDsdNHET1tKj4TGVvQ2TOOeI3vLYP2Y2duzgDwuYp53RYxAP9GSzCLIFtIyCZ3omAV4b3TTxDSwY-3ST6knbyvNkRCvtCvZ_3-13zs3wvj75nRLoPPFiUeFpyn0N5r8VxJAByiqnGKqsWhGtARcq5URk9W9Ol8xJ-tDg8RvnrBubNRRZ99LmmpCzNgHQZF48xuJv7euIU4G8Ps52QEOhIwmL5i509uJR2PACI2kuvGRFK834KNDJaeAM5s-ogpdkAStPjPWJdk41VBavVqgyJcu-T_0Miyc90b1ejNLMmL0sVMGBJUfAxVDbwEc_NK4keMVca0oqMYfFbZc2lJ6ffARRbnD784UpLczqs11UUgi83T2HnPI1FRXji-ia4xDJV3W38zpcP1fURENrkVM_Ki1OfErAQ3o1GCcFDaQgsiZteUlfSUTrv1J2tbUMYIbUcuKMX6u5l4yms7kfwku8eQqO0FSrlttnGXzx_bl0aOQPjZw8p24N6kq09zWk1-_NkTweenClS4jCQhUQ_eV--DHeTSkDjOaQ6kXl1cTq2OUlmWmCzUiOH2jhUaXEXb-lctbiCzNZjZJOnGdqDyHN-W6XOsZqYssXeXXXuz6DYiZLzpLlDHAjiRUS3rph_um36Cfmq9T4Qdw=w547-h184-no

Based on the popularity of legacy products like the GX 60 and the GNC 250/300XL, as well as customer excitement for our new GPS 175 and GNX 375, we?re pleased to bring the GNC 355 to market

Based on the popularity of legacy products like the GX 60 and the GNC 250/300XL, as well as customer excitement for our new GPS 175 and GNX 375, we?re pleased to bring the GNC 355 to market,? said Carl Wolf, Garmin vice president of aviation sales and marketing. ?The GNC 355 gives value-minded customers a simple upgrade path to a GPS navigator with a number of capabilities including WAAS/LPV approach guidance, wireless connectivity, a modern Comm radio, and with its standard mark-width form factor, pilots can easily add the GNC 355 without overhauling the panel of their aircraft.

Aircraft owners can easily incorporate the GNC 355 into an existing avionics stack because of its standard 6.25-inch wide by 2-inch tall design. A vibrant, colorful and responsive touchscreen display boasts a familiar Garmin user experience, while a dual concentric knob and home button offer added versatility when interfacing with the touchscreen. The user interface has been optimized for the screen size of the display, while also retaining a familiar menu structure similar to other Garmin products. Pilots can quickly access direct-to functionality, moving map, flight plan, nearest, procedures, waypoint and terrain pages, as well as frequency information using the touchscreen, and create customizable data fields and short cuts for quick, one-touch access to important information.

Fully WAAS/SBAS IFR-approach-capable, the GNC 355 gives pilots the benefit of flying LPV, as well as Area Navigation (RNAV) approaches. Many approaches offer vertical approach guidance as low as 200-feet above ground level (AGL). Pilots can also leverage the touchscreen and moving map to generate customized holding patterns over an existing fix in the navigation database or over a user-defined waypoint and easily insert it into a flight plan. Visual approaches are also available within the GNC 355 and provide lateral and vertical approach guidance in visual flight conditions.

Two versions, the GNC 355 and GNC 355A, are available with 25 kHz and 8.33 kHz frequency channel spacing respectively. Using the internal frequency database, airport, weather, Air Route Traffic Control Center (ARTCC) and Flight Service Station (FSS) frequencies are easy to find and can be loaded to the standby position by selecting the frequency from the airport information page. Recent, nearby and saved frequencies also offer easy access to frequency information. For example, with built-in standby frequency monitoring, pilots can listen to ATIS while monitoring tower frequency simultaneously. The airport identifier and frequency type are also displayed below the frequency so pilots can communicate with confidence.

An array of interface options includes the G3X Touch? flight display for experimental and certificated aircraft, the G5 electronic flight instrument, the GFC? 500 and GFC 600 autopilots, as well as select third-party autopilots. Course deviation and roll steering outputs can also be coupled to the GFC 500/GFC 600 autopilots and select third-party autopilots so procedures such as holds, radius-to-fix (RF) legs and missed approaches may be flown using the autopilot. Aircraft owners can also retain many of their existing flight instruments, audio panels and many legacy CDI/EHSI indicators such as the KI 208/209 products.

Additional interface options include pairing the GNC 355 with a dual-link Garmin Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) solution, such as the GTX? 345 or GDL? 88. When paired with these products, the GNC 355 is capable of displaying subscription-free Flight Information Service-Broadcast (FIS-B) weather and ADS-B traffic targets, which includes patented TargetTrend? and TerminalTraffic?. Wireless Connext? cockpit connectivity offers flight plan transfer via Bluetooth? to and from compatible portables and mobile devices running the Garmin Pilot? and FltPlan Go applications. Pilots can also use the Flight Stream 510 to access the wireless benefits of Garmin?s Database Concierge, which uploads aviation database information from the Garmin Pilot app to the GNC 355 in minutes.

The GNC 355 provides a number of additional benefits, including graphical flight plan editing, allowing pilots to more easily edit their flight plan based on an ATC amendment or weather. Features such as FastFind simplify flight plan entry by applying predictive logic to suggest airports and waypoints using current GPS location, while Smart Airspace? makes it easier to identify pertinent airspace on the moving map. The addition of SafeTaxi? airport diagrams displays runways, taxiways, Fixed Based Operators (FBOs), hangars and more relative to the aircraft?s location on the airport surface.

The GNC 355 and GNC 355A are expected to be available in August and will be approved for installation in over 700 Class I/II piston aircraft models that weigh 6,000 lbs./2,721 kg. or less. The GNC 355 and GNC 355A can be purchased through the Garmin Authorized Dealer network at that time starting at a list price of $6,995 and $7,695 respectively. European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) validation is expected at a later date. A free GNC 355 trainer app is also available for download on Apple mobile devices, which allows customers to explore the feature set. Garmin will also be showcasing the GNC 355 next week at the Garmin exhibit during the 2019 EAA AirVenture fly-in, in Oshkosh, Wis., July 22-28, 2019.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Is the 355A/8.33MHz available as a software upgrade from the 355/25MHz version? I'm confused for the reason behind the market segmentation.

Database updates for my GX 60 will no longer be available after December 2019. This replacement is being released just in time.

GNC-355 & GTX-345R (Remote)?

Hello,

Will the new GNC-355 work with / compatible with / the GTX-345R (remote transponder w/ADSB in/out)?

Thanks,
Sean

It would be really cool if the iOS trainer app was capable of at least reading infos from a flight simulator like X-Plane on the same network the same way ForFlight does. There is a quite well documented API. That would put the training on a whole new level and you could try out the new avionics in a familiar scenario. Ideally it would be writing back inputs like AP, heading, radio etc. but don't want to ask for too much.

Hello,

Will the new GNC-355 work with / compatible with / the GTX-345R (remote transponder w/ADSB in/out)?

Thanks,
Sean
Hello Sean,

Yes, the GNC 355 can receive and display ADS-B traffic and weather from the GTX 45R/345/345R and provide the WAAS GPS position source data needed by these transponders for ADS-B Out.

Thanks,
Steve

Is it possible for someone to explain the value differences when it comes to Garmin products. This new addition would be just about perfect, except for the lack of VOR/LOC nav, which one must look to the 650/530/430. I am currently building a -10 but just purchased a Cherokee 180 in the interim for my son's training and some cross-country fun. In trying to price a used 530, it seems as though the cost is almost as if it were new (market prices for planes, as well, seem to defy reason...used 60 year old airplanes with sketchy avionics and run out engines) and you can have a completely brand new 650 for a grand more.

Also...for the Garmin rep (thanks for this post, I wondered if a certified version was coming out)...what is the viability of the 430 in the future? Can it still be updated and maintained as a legacy platform?

Kinda cool addition to the product line. With all the gps approaches available now, i think less and less pilots will want to spend the money on VOR/LOC/ILS equipment like the GTN650.. In favor of this, which seems to be the same as the 650 sans VOR.

I'm making some assumptions here, but I'm miffed that they are making a distinction between 8.33khz and 25khz radios.. I can't imagine that there is much difference in internal parts other than some software on the radio chip itself.

Lets hope that 8.33 doesnt rear its ugly head in the US after the FAA is done with the 2020 stuff and starts looking for more things to "fix".

GX60 data updates

Effective December 3, 2020, all Garmin GX NavData services will be discontinued:
Due to Garmin sunsetting the GX series, Jeppesen will no longer be able to offer NavData services for the GX50, GX55, GX60, GX65 and 2101 GPS units.

A previous post said Dec 2019 the updates would stop. Think that was just a misprint? Got the above from the Jeppesen website.

Love the GX60, been a great little unit! I'm definitely planning to replace GX60 with GNC 355 by Dec 2020. Will figure out the intercom issue by then; just happy that Garmin remembered us simple-ton's. Cheers and Check Six! Rascal

Could we perhaps use the "intercom" from a GTR20?
Hello Charley (and Waiex-guy),

While some may have had some success using using switches and other components to add a second radio to an installation with a GTR 200 or GTR 20 radio with intercom, it is not something we recommend.

Pretty sure you would enjoy a GMA 245/245R audio panel if you installed one. I only have a single GTR 200 COM radio (and a GNX 375), and I still installed a GMA 245 for the many great features, dedicated buttons, dedicated intercom/music volume knobs, and Bluetooth music/phone/camera support it provides. It is small, light, and a pleasure to use. I may add a GTR 20 second radio at some point, and I am all set with having the audio panel to use with it if I do.

0Qb_A-XK_Gd7xAmHcMOnwzxF0e3UhHuD5VheFjxEDLY7uTZ9AbD_LCMYgVt0sef5cPFdfZLQb9GgevwLchZI3VWjnMllV6xbrmM0g8-WETAfWyEwPJz2QSCJ2YLGs8TNoQQn2v9wbbxzAUq8pptpc3rCfP6-UQn3SEN62Z6YbK2rUxHjUrOIKW1MtZnvoSpov2EySSvpwcCNvO1-2w_MgQFkvEx81yO45V7kLhWHBz5vba7AxJsiJ3Iip746KcLdXV6db3s7A4GZ1zDKWDLkae0fdEvBj0zT3DNYCzFaOrjCCarAFpOMT8cydZ4Sj7qPH02gSt7CIaWXUx3z9VRCDlG7GZe9Y1sRAR2fNFfm1z0uiVlj6LW0EF3DvoQq_fIFO9ekh8XoqbFKXabk3Hbw3s5KuLU8e45pDmiCDdXHn6NX-J6r7_mygEolZyA_Anzt7nah437hy2wmvosjPrvGkswBMIXMGR9BKqcNmDAno12LI_EuKtxTQHGV4O6Qu9IwJMjwULfPCw1brAH6LWKyOFh7KT4H99CD9gwAB4A2_dWl1PKI_ovymuLtp8N9l24VTmFVDr2faAVLF_zar9GkgZYMpmCSbwJmyw29IRhBtc1di2yzJTpUHEc1EUpHwlB-JK7PNm30bEIHYUJ1bP0KF-AFkK8eTiRJz-BE8qx6Wz02vijnDzn1xXQA=w700

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Steve,

You say the 355 can receive and display the data, but can it control the remote transponder functions?

George Meketa

Hello Sean,

Yes, the GNC 355 can receive and display ADS-B traffic and weather from the GTX 45R/345/345R and provide the WAAS GPS position source data needed by these transponders for ADS-B Out.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

You say the 355 can receive and display the data, but can it control the remote transponder functions?

George Meketa
Hello George,

No, the GNC 355 does not control a remote transponder.

Thanks,
Steve

Current consumption question

What is the normal and peak current consumption of the GNC 355 at 14 volts?

What is the normal and peak current consumption of the GNC 355 at 14 volts?
Hello Raiz,

Here is the power consumption for all 3 of the new models.

GPS 175 GPS Navigator
14V: Typical 0.6A, Maximum 0.9A
28V: Typical 0.3A, Maximum 0.6A

GNC 355 GPS Navigator with COM radio
GPS/Main Connector
14V: Typical 0.6A, Maximum 0.9A
28V: Typical 0.3A, Maximum 0.6A
COM Connector
14V: Typical 1.8A, Maximum 6.0A
28V: Typical 0.9A, Maximum 2.8A

GNX 375 GPS Navigator with ADS-B In/Out 250W 1090ES Transponder
14V: Typical 1.2A, Maximum 1.8A
28V: Typical 0.6A, Maximum 0.9A

Thanks,
Steve

GNC-355 & GTX-345R (Remote)?

Hello George,

Thanks,
Steve

Post #14 (pasted below) seems to contradict what's stated above:

Hello Sean,

Thanks,
Steve

Hello George,

Thanks,
Steve

Post #14 (pasted below) seems to contradict what's stated above:

Hello Sean,

Thanks,
Steve
Hello Sean,

Receiving and displaying ADS-B traffic and weather from a transponder and controlling that transponder are two very different things.

Thanks,
Steve

GNC 355 vs. GNX 375

The GNC 355 has a com radio while the GNX 375 has ADS-B In/Out.

Besides those differences, are there any differences in the GPS based navigation and approach capabilities of the two units?

Thanks,
Micheal-

Hello Sean,

Receiving and displaying ADS-B traffic and weather from a transponder and controlling that transponder are two very different things.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

If a GTX-345R (remote transponder) is used in conjunction with a GNC-355 (GPS/Comm), wouldn't the GNC-355 not only display ADS-B info, but also control the remote transponder?

Thanks,
Sean

Hi Steve,

If a GTX-345R (remote transponder) is used in conjunction with a GNC-355 (GPS/Comm), wouldn't the GNC-355 not only display ADS-B info, but also control the remote transponder?

Thanks,
Sean
Hello Sean,

No, the GNC 355 cannot control a transponder.

Thanks,
Steve

The GNC 355 has a com radio while the GNX 375 has ADS-B In/Out.

Besides those differences, are there any differences in the GPS based navigation and approach capabilities of the two units?

Thanks,
Micheal-
Hello Michael,

The WAAS GPS navigator portion of the GPS 175, GNC 355, and GNX 375 is essentially identical in capabilities and operation.

Thanks,
Steve

On screen CDI

Steve,

Do you happen to know why the GNC355 does not provide an on-screen CDI while the GPS175 and GNX375 do? The manual states it is only available on 175/375 and not the 355, and the GNC355 iOS simulator likewise doesn't have it.

But, there's a pic on Garmin's blog for airventure 2019 showing an on-screen CDI display showing up on the 355.

Was it reverted, or perhaps it's just upcoming software? quite a useful backup to be missing if say a primary HSI on a PFD fails.

Thanks!

Sumit

GNC 355 Installation Manual

Has anyone been able to get their hands on a GNC 355 Installation Manual?

Would really love to replace my old GX60 with the GNC 355 but will not even start to plan to do it till I know what wiring changes are going to be necessary to install it in place of the GX60 and interface it with the SL30 and CDI plus my G5.

Have done several DuckDuckGo searches and looked around the Garmin website. It appears that Garmin was able to get the radio designed and into production but may still be working on the drawings that will be released to the EXPERIMENTAL world.

Compatibility with Skyview? Dynon Autopilot? I fly IFR in my RV7 with Skyview and a SL-30. Would like to use more airports without ILS and VOR approaches. How much compatability issues will I run into? Skyview Classic. I already have ADSB in and out so am not needing more than the 355. Nice to have the radio. What do the Garmin Updates cost for this? I use Seattle Avionics for Nav updates for the Skyview currently. I also use their FlyQ Ipad app. Will that connect via Wifi with the 355? I removed the transponder in my avionics stack so have the room for the 355. How deep is this, room behind the panel? Any special power supply restraints?

Compatibility with Skyview? Dynon Autopilot? I fly IFR in my RV7 with Skyview and a SL-30. Would like to use more airports without ILS and VOR approaches. How much compatability issues will I run into? Skyview Classic. I already have ADSB in and out so am not needing more than the 355. Nice to have the radio. What do the Garmin Updates cost for this? I use Seattle Avionics for Nav updates for the Skyview currently. I also use their FlyQ Ipad app. Will that connect via Wifi with the 355? I removed the transponder in my avionics stack so have the room for the 355. How deep is this, room behind the panel? Any special power supply restraints?
Hello Greg,

We have heard that Skyview installations with the GPS 175 work great, and the same should be true for the GNC 355.

As shown on this page, annual navigation database updates for the GNC 355 are $299 for the U.S. Updates are via SD card or via an optional Flightstream 510 WiFi.

The GNC 355 is 11.23 inches deep from the front of the panel to the back of the connector.

At 14Vdc, the COM radio connector uses 1.8A typical, 6.0A maximum and the main unit connector uses 0.6A typical, 0.9A maximum.

Thanks,
Steve

I'm beginning to think a GPS 175 and GTR 200 make a better solution than a GNC 355 for me. I really need a comm and an intercom. The combination is less expensive and provides the intercom. Am I missing something?

Does the GTR 200B give much additional capability? I don't own or use a smartphone, just an iPad.

Jim Butcher

I'm beginning to think a GPS 175 and GTR 200 make a better solution than a GNC 355 for me. I really need a comm and an intercom. The combination is less expensive and provides the intercom. Am I missing something?

Does the GTR 200B give much additional capability? I don't own or use a smartphone, just an iPad.

Jim Butcher
Hello Jim,

Agree that if you need an intercom, the GTR 200/200B with a GPS 175 is probably a better choice.

Without the need to interface a phone using Bluetooth, the only other advantage to the GTR 200B would be connection to a Bluetooth music source.

Thanks,
Steve

I'm trying to determine if a GNC355 will fit in my installation. I really need more detail than just the dimensions. I'm looking for a mechanical drawing with dimensions similar to those provided in the GNS430 install manuals. My GNS430 is a close fit, but depending on the location of the connectors a GNC355 may fit. I imagine others are looking for the same information. Please post or provide a link to mechanical drawings for all three navigators so we can determine which navigator works in our particular installation.

Thanks

Jim Butcher

I'm trying to determine if a GNC355 will fit in my installation. I really need more detail than just the dimensions. I'm looking for a mechanical drawing with dimensions similar to those provided in the GNS430 install manuals. My GNS430 is a close fit, but depending on the location of the connectors a GNC355 may fit. I imagine others are looking for the same information. Please post or provide a link to mechanical drawings for all three navigators so we can determine which navigator works in our particular installation.

Thanks

Jim Butcher
Hello Jim,

Please send us an email at [email protected] and we will provide anything you need.

Thank you for considering the GNC 355 for your upgrade.

Thanks,
Steve

I have a Dynon D10a and want to replace my current GPS/COMM with the GNC 355. Has anyone been able to link the GNC 355 to a D10a? I think that it may be possible with the HS34 expansion module?

Cross fill possible?

Steve,
In an existing panel with an existing 650 or 750, can flight plans cross fill between those radios and a new installed GNC355, like they can if you had two 650?s? Is it possible for the new GNC 355 to share flight information with another radio, like 650 and 750?s can? If not, do you see a possible software update to make that possible? To get wireless communication to a 650 or 750, we need Flightstream. The 355 has wireless built in. So, along the same line of the first question, can we use the 355 to receive information from our iPad running Garmin Pilot, and this information be transferred to a 650 or 750 also. Or, do we need two different receivers, one the internal receiver in the 355, and a separate Flightstream for the 650/750? If two are required, will Garmin Pilot wirelessly connect to two radios at the same time? Hoping for a simple cross fill solution between this new radio and older 650/750 series!
Thanks, Jim

Steve,
In an existing panel with an existing 650 or 750, can flight plans cross fill between those radios and a new installed GNC355, like they can if you had two 650?s? Is it possible for the new GNC 355 to share flight information with another radio, like 650 and 750?s can? If not, do you see a possible software update to make that possible? To get wireless communication to a 650 or 750, we need Flightstream. The 355 has wireless built in. So, along the same line of the first question, can we use the 355 to receive information from our iPad running Garmin Pilot, and this information be transferred to a 650 or 750 also. Or, do we need two different receivers, one the internal receiver in the 355, and a separate Flightstream for the 650/750? If two are required, will Garmin Pilot wirelessly connect to two radios at the same time? Hoping for a simple cross fill solution between this new radio and older 650/750 series!
Thanks, Jim

On a similar note, can the GNC 355 crossfill with the GNS-430W?

Hello,

Currently there is no flight plan crossfill capability between the new GPS 175, GNC 355, and GNX 375 navigators and GNS/GTN, but it is something being considered.

Thanks,
Steve

Crossfill

Steve,
Thanks for the reply! ?If? the consideration to make cross fill happen were to happen, would it require rewiring if one had already made an installation with a new 355 and a 650/750 installation, or would it be just software updates. I would start the install tomorrow if crossfill were available! From the previous post, can Garmin Pilot talk to a 650/750 through Flightstream and the new 355 simultaneously, or would you have to change the Bluetooth connections on the iPad and talk to one at a time?
Thanks,
Jim

I have a Dynon D10a and want to replace my current GPS/COMM with the GNC 355. Has anyone been able to link the GNC 355 to a D10a? I think that it may be possible with the HS34 expansion module?

I have the same question. Thinking about adding with HS34/D10A setup.

zr24Y2vJSb9Baw3n6
I recently added a GNC355 to my AFS VFR Quick Panel, in addition to a PS PDA360XR remote audio panel. I removed the existing intercom and enlarged the opening to accommodate the Garmin. AFS fabricated the harnesses, and it was a plug and play install.
The installation is fully integrated with My AFS5600 screens and autopilot.
This is a nice upgrade to the VFR panel giving me IFR capability with a second com radio.
Thank You AFS for a job well done!

EIYtpmd.jpg

ENbtVbR.jpg

ljj5y8I.jpg

Last edited:
GDL 82 Integration?

I already have a GDL 82 installed with an antenna. I was wondering if I could reuse the existing GDL 82 antenna for the 355 and then use the 335 as a position source for the GDL 82? That way I would only need one GPS antenna?

If this is possible, what is the interface between the 355 and GDL 82?

Thanks!

Back