What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Green lights on switches

hiline

I have a 2015 Rv12 w/Skyview and my switches on the panel work but are very dim green when turned on,anything I should be looking for with this issue would be appreciated or if you can point me in the right direction to figure it out.
Thanks,
Tony

My RV-12 has a Dynon D-180, so I am not familiar with the Skyview system.
But here are suggestions:
Go into the Skyview settings and change the dimmer output.
Try to find an adjustment pot on the AV-50000A.

Switch lights

For what it's worth, I can confirm that there are no pots on the AV-50000A control module for any lights. All of those adjustment pots are to control various audio volumes except there is one other pot to control pitch trim speed.

My avionics were circa 2016 and include a dimmer switch on the panel. This dimmer controls the green switch lights and the red eyeball panel light. It does not control the Dynon screen. For the screen dimming you adjust using the Dynon menus. I don't think the Dynon dimming menu controls will adjust the green switch lights, but I could be wrong on that.

I don't know exactly when the panel dimmer appeared but there are panels that do not have the panel mounted dimmer for the switch lights and with those panels I don't know how the switch lights were intended to be adjusted. Not by the AV-50000A control module for sure. The reference for the AV-50000A adjustment are plans pages 42D-29 and 42D-30.

Last edited:
Are you referring to the rocker switches that control trim, lights, etc? Those are faint green lights to indicate that the switch is on. The light is not on a dimmer.

If Van's control board AV-50000A is revision 2 or later, then a 5K ohm pot may be connected to pins 6 & 7 of the switch module D-Sub on the AV-50000A.
So the first step is to determine the revision number of the AV-50000A. If revision 2 or later, then install a 5K pot if there is none already.

Ok great stuff everyone,I will look at what I have and I do not have the new style dimming switch,and the Dynon does not adjust the dimming in the rocker switches(tried that already) I'm referring to,but now see how i can do it by the posts above,THANK YOU !!

AV-50000A's that have R0 on the part # label have a PWM circuit that tracks with the dimming of the D1000 screen to control the brightness of the eyeball cockpit light and the green switch indicator lights (if everything is properly wired, connected, and configured). A fix for no dimmer functionality could be as simple as loading the appropriate RV-12 settings file from the Van's web site

AV-50000A's that are R2 are the version that was developed in parallel with the introduction of the G3X panel. The G3X panel does not have the capability of controlling lighting (without other hardware, that is not used on the RV-12) so a panel mounted potentiometer is used.

Back