What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New to GPS systems, need advice

alwaysoutdoor

Hello, I am a former Cessna 150 (rent) VOR/ chart navigation pilot transitioning into my RV-7 that I am just finishing building (another month or so to paint and final assembly). I have never used any kind of GPS before but would like to try one out and get familiar with one during phase 1 testing. I want to know some good advice on what GPS system to get. All my info in my -7 comes from a Dynon D180 which is the only thing on the panel besides my Icom A200 and transponder. My mission is simple VFR flight and travel with GPS and chart backup- looking for reliable GPS under $900. Here is what I think my options are so far...

1) Used Garmin 296, 396, or 496 - $250-$750

2) Used Ifly 720- $400-$600

3) New Ifly 740- $900 (comes out to buy in about a month from now)

4) New Ipad mini wifi/cellular (Foreflight)- $700-$780 (I could get help from other pilot friends as I know a couple locals who use this)

5) New Nexus 7 wifi/cellular 2013 model? (GarminPilot)- $500??? would need help on which one to order and would be the only local using this.

What do you guys think I should go with? Sorry I am a total newbie. I have also never used a tablet or touchscreen of any kind and would need to learn this as well if I went that way (pretty weird for age 32 I have been told)- I use what I have and never upgrade anything unless something breaks (KISS mentality). Thanks for the help! - Pete Twisp,WA

I see you are looking at used Garmin stuff, but the tablets are new priced.

You can pick up a used iPad at a good price----they often come up here.

Get an external GPS like a Bad Elf if you want the best accuracy from the GPS----although I have found the internal GPS to function pretty well.

You could be in there well under $400 with the Foreflight and a used IPad.

You might see if there is anyone in your area with the various units that you could look at and "test drive"

For VFR cruising I've used one of these external GPS receivers with a cheaper ipad (no cellular capability so internal GPS not good without wifi) with good results.

Garmin 695 or 696

If you pay just a little bit more and get used Garmin 695 or 696 they are well worth the money. The readability of a 69x in bright sun light compared to the older/small Garmin units and tablet type devices is night and day.

I started with a 495 which I found very difficult to read in direct sun. I upgraded to a 696 and never any readability issues - I loved it. I now have a 795 which is even better!

When I sold my 696, over a year ago, I got about $1,000 for it.

BTW. Once you start flying with a GPS, you'll never go back.

Last edited:
I can assure you that you will be amazed at virtually anything you buy. I'd suggest a very old used unit, for maybe $100, as a "try it and see" what you like or don't like.

But I also want to add, Phase one is not the time to be figuring this out.

Congratulations on aproaching first flight !

I'd break your choices into two categories first:

Can you get by with the sunlight readability of a tablet or do you need a truly sunlight readable GPS?

If you can fly with someone in a bubble canopy airplane, then borrow a tablet and see if you can see it well enough. You don't even need to commit to software, you can either use the 30-day trial or just load a few screen shots as pictures and try to view them. If you don't readily have the option to go fly, then you can still get a good feel by walking around on a sunny day with a tablet. The advantage of flying is that you will more readily be restricted to where you can put the tablet and its viewing angle.

If you don't like the readability of a tablet then an Aera 510 or GPSMAP 695 are great options from Garmin.

If you are happy enough with the tablet, then you can pick up a good recent used 32GB iPad for about $300-$350 or a 32GB Nexus 7 (2013 model) for even less. (I picked up a refurb 32GB Nexus 7 2013 model for $169 and they can be found for that price from time to time).

The iPad lets you choose from a number of Aviation GPS software providers. On the Android tablets there are fewer options.

If you're not savvy with the various touch screen/pad/smart devices, I'd recommend the dedicated portable GPS. All I've used is Garmin for the last 10 years.

thanks for the help everybody! I guess I just need some first hand experience to see what I may want before I buy anything. I am gonna try to get up in the air with some locals who use ipad/foreflight to see if I like it and see it in the sun good enough. It might be nice to use what they all have so I can ask questions and get a tutorial on how to work the darn thing. I'll have to post pics once I finish painting and get the plane put back together hopefully in the next month or so.

I have tested various GPS, both integrated and handhelds. My last handheld was a Garmin Aera 500 before I switched to the iPad.

iPad is the easiest to operate, upgrade and you can test out several navigation and flight planners...

Use it both at home and in the plane, then you can use your iPad while everything is fresh and ready to fly :)

turorials

AOPA has some excellent tutorials for GPS basics. I'm sure there are several other sites that are equally good. You certainly don't need to get very deep into theory in order to operate a GPS, but I think you will find the basic knowledge helpful. The first thing you need to do is go flying with someone who uses a GPS frequently. 30 minutes of button pushing is the best place to start.

Congratulations on getting to where you can see the end of the build!

Back