What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need some info (Ft Stewart area)

Icarus

Well Known Member
Hello all, my wife and I are both active Army and will be moving to Fort Stewart in a few months. We are focusing on the Richmond Hill area. I am an active instructor but mainly enjoy sport acro in the -4 for personal pleasure.

We have a flying RV-4 and are building a -14 with the small wheel in the back.

Anyone know of a good place (or have room) for a regularly flown -4?

Any gauge on local airports?

Flying communities?

ANY help or insight is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Paul

Have you looked at Ft. Stewart itself? One side of their airfield is for civilian use and called Midcoast Regional (KLHW) Airport. According to their web page they have 12 T-hangars and 5 box hangars for civilian use.

From their web page:
"In November 2007, Wright Army Airfield (Ft. Stewart) / Midcoast Regional Airport at Wright Army Airfield (LHW) opened its doors to the flying public. The airport, which is 45 minutes south of downtown Savannah and just minutes from Georgia's coast, is a recent addition to the exclusive list of joint-use airfields in the United States.

The airport, which is situated within Fort Stewart, was named "MidCoast" because of its position between the commercial airports at Savannah and Brunswick, as well as being midway between Charleston and Jacksonville. The airport is a cooperative effort between the City of Hinesville, the Liberty County Board of Commissioners, the Liberty County Development Authority, and the United States Army, acting under a Joint Management Board (JMB)."

:cool:

Last edited:
We have friends that are based at Ft. Stewart and live in Richmond Hills. We flew in to visit them a few months ago. We picked KLHW because it was closest to them. Very nice, friendly FBO, and the hangars look good. I would definitely consider this airport if I was moving there.

Hello all, my wife and I are both active Army and will be moving to Fort Stewart in a few months. We are focusing on the Richmond Hill area. I am an active instructor but mainly enjoy sport acro in the -4 for personal pleasure.

We have a flying RV-4 and are building a -14 with the small wheel in the back.

Anyone know of a good place (or have room) for a regularly flown -4?

Any gauge on local airports?

Flying communities?

ANY help or insight is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Paul

Hi Paul,

I live in Richmond Hill and will eventually be based at KLHW (Mid-Coast Regional / Wright Army Airfield) but they have no hangars available and the waiting list is said to be 2 years long. I am on list but still building my RV-7A and working on selling my 1966 Piper Cherokee 140.

You can tie-down at LHW for $25 a month, which is very fair.

SAV (Savannah airport) is the most expensive at $75/mo for tie-down and I've heard $400 or more for hangar space. Plus, fuel is the highest in the area.

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, you can look into 3J1 (Ridgeland, SC), which is about 55 miles up I-95 and is where I am currently based. You will also find Tom Swearengen of TS Flightlines there, along with several other RVs. Tie-down is free, when available, and hangar space goes for around 200 to 300, depending on size and availability.

Feel free to PM me for more information. Would be happy to show you around the area.

Ray

Yeah----they let me hang out at 3J1!
There is Cypress Lakes, just west of Savannah near Bloomingdale. Airpark, grass, nice houses---Several Gulfstream employees live there.
Tom

Since Tom brought up the grass strip option, also consider GA39 (Hodges Airpark), which is about 5 miles from Richmond Hill.

I picked up my Cherokee 140 there. They have a pancake breakfast the 3rd Saturday of the month (I my memory serves) with closed and open hangar options for 100 to 200 / month, last I spoke to the owner, Robert Hodges. AirNav has information these and other locations around the area.

Richmond Hills it is

Thanks again folks, the wife visited last weekend and FAILED to procure a hangar spot. She succeeded at contracting for a house in Richmond Hill in a neighborhood called buckhead...it has a pool...and no runway. Another fail.

Anyone know of any hangars in that area? Pretty sure I could fit the -4 under most other airplanes, except other RVs. Considering a folding wing mod at this very moment!

Paul

Check KBQK which is about 40mi south of Richmond Hill just off I95. I think the community hangar is $150/mo.

Last edited:
Check KBQK which is about 40mi south of Richmond Heights just off I95. I think the community hangar is $150/mo.

Thanks for this information. This would be a bit closer than 3J1 for me as well. Maybe 10 minutes drive closer...

Thank you all

Thank everyone who has reached out or responded on the forum. I have managed to beg/plead into a solid temporary arrangement that will allow me to get the RV out of west texas and near where I will work.

More RV'ers have come forward than I had expected, thank you all again.

Look forward to meeting you each in person. Feel free to inbox/email me if you're interested in meeting up once we get into town.

Best,

Paul

Back