What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sam James wheel pants alignment

Syl

I'm New Here
I'm in the process of mounting the wheel pants on my 8
I have those nice SJ pants
I have in mind that one important thing is to have pants in line with the airstream
My concern is about what is the proper line on the pant to align with longerons
I have different versions; from foremost nose position to : bottom tail tip, or upper tail tip or at the center line of the tail
Any experience on this to pic?

Plumb bobs

Syl, with the wheels off the ground and the airplane leveled, drop a plumb line from the center of the firewall to the ground and mark that spot with chalk. Do the same at the tail and connect the marks with either chalk or string.

Place the wheel pant over the wheel and drop plumb lines from the front and rear of the wheelpant and connect the marks. The distance to the previously drawn centerline should be the same from the front of the wheelpant as the rear.

Best,

Pierre

Sorry, i was not clear enough
You are explaining the horizontal alignment, and i spoke about the vertical alignment : what is the definition of the line on the wheelpant that should be aligned with the longeron ie: what is the in fligth attitude of the Wheelpant. How to materialize it

Sam James wheel pants

If you check out the instructions it shows a " water line " a point on the nose and a point on the tail . I can send you some pics if you pm me your email .

Tom

Well, indeed there is a "waterline" described in the sj instructions.
From nose to bottom tail tip
But when asked directly to sj, they speak about an other waterline.
From nose to a point at the center of the 2 tail tip.
Thus my question....

Back