What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Side canopy skirt gaps & weather seals?

sbalmos

Well Known Member
Hi gang,

I'm going to redo my side canopy skirts. The right one is okay (I think?), with 1/32" gap between the forward bottom "notch" edge and the canopy deck / longeron. But the left one, I don't know what I was thinking. I cut it too high. 3/16" gap. :( Is the 1/32" gap okay, BTW?

Also, while I'm at it, what kind of weather stripping or other form of gasket do you put on the bottom edge of the side skirts, to really seal everything up? And how much of a measurement difference does that make when I drill and cut the new skirts to match the old skirt's rivet lines?

Thanks!

I had to re-do one side too, for the same reason! I think the 1/32" gap is fine.

I didn't use an sort of seal on the side skirts....they hug the fuselage pretty closely already. On the rear skirts, I put a strip of UHMW tape on the inside edge so the paint doesn't get scuffed up when it's closed.

I don't find the interior to be too drafty without the seals. Might be different if you're flying a lot in cold weather. I think I used my heater once in 75 hours!

Back