What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door fitting Queston

lr172

Well Known Member
I am fitting my doors this week. based upon some research here, I don't think I am going to trust the index hole dimples. Instead, I will use a few spacers around the door to get it centered and back drill the two key index holes. I will be able to figure out the spacer sizing on the vertical sections, but wondering what the community has found to be optimum for spacer size on the horizontal door threshold.

Larry

It's been a year

but I believe you're overthinking it, Larry. Once clamped up, including some aluminum strap "hinges" at the top edge, I found the door would migrate slowly downward in the doorway opening as I trimmed the edges progressively so the door would drop down flush with the canopy. This mitigated my careful pre-positioning efforts and left me with less (but still plenty) of lower door flange when complete.

Center it the best you can, cleco in place with some aluminum plates across the gaps, and sand it into a good progressive fit. There's almost nothing you could screw up in this process that couldn't be fixed with fiberglass. :D

Back