What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron alignment tooling holes

Draker

Well Known Member
Looks like back when I was drilling my wing ribs to 7/16" for the cable runs, I got carried away and drilled all of them, including the outboard-most rib, which the manual says to not do before aligning the ailerons. Any chance I can use the tooling hole on the leading edge (B) to align the aileron instead of the one on the main wing rib (A)? Eyeballing it with a straight edge, it looks like both holes are on the same line to the tooling hole on the aft end of the main rib.

IMG_0691_M-M.jpg

If not, I wonder if I can get away with using a 7/16" dowel on the aileron alignment thinggy rather than a AN3 bolt.

I am pretty sure they do not line up.
Did you do the same on both wings ? If not you could just measure up from the other.

I can have a look at mine when I get hike from work.
I can also measure mine, that would bring you close enough.

I think there are two tooling holes on both ribs. I have seen people shoot a laser level and just make sure it's going through all the tooling holes. In your case you just wouldn't use the enlarged one. I have not done this step yet so take it as you may.

laser alignment wing tooling holes by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Laser worked best for me YMMV

I finally used a laser into phase I, and found the holes don't all exactly line up (along the full cord). Logic was to use the most extreme spread, but ended up splitting the differences. Like an eyeballed least squares fit.

Conclusion: precision is to be welcomed but not expected.

After checking everything, I slotted the hinges, adjusted a few times and balanced my "heavy wing"

I didn't check with a laser, but they do line up with a aluminum angle.
It was close enough, as half a turn on the push rod moved the aileron pass the line anyways.

Last edited:
They seem to line up pretty well on my wings, too, but like others said, I used the the most distant pair to do my alignment. Dump "A"!

BillL knows

I concur with BillL's conclusion and did the same on my -7. Sometimes you just gotta fiddle with it until it works correctly. I had a slightly heavy wing and worked through Van's heavy wing guide IN ORDER and slotted the brackets. She now flies hands off straight with no trim tabs.

Thanks, everybody. I like the laser level idea--used that and the aft-most hole aligns pretty closely through both holes. This will do for the purpose of aligning/drilling the flap hinge now, and later when the thing is ready to fly do it more precisely.

Back