What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy intersection fairing

Carl Froehlich

Well Known Member
It?s that time again - laying up the canopy fairings.

Years ago on the first 8A project I used electrical tape on the canopy as the release agent. That seemed to work well but now I read the warnings from Van?s not to use electrical tape as it can cause crazing.

The instructions call for Mylar tape or release agent. I?d be interested in what builders are doing now and what they recommend.

Carl

Things that have worked for me

I have used clear packing tape, Saran Wrap and the clingy static plastic used to wrap furniture when you move.
The packing tape works great but usually leaves a sticky residue you have to clean off later.
On aluminum, if the blue protective coating is still on, I will just lay up directly on that and put packing tape over any rivet lines or holes where it was removed. Works great.
A heavy coating of wax will also work, although I prefer the former methods.

...Years ago on the first 8A project I used electrical tape on the canopy as the release agent. That seemed to work well but now I read the warnings from Van?s not to use electrical tape as it can cause crazing. ...
First I've heard of this - any idea why electrical tape can cause crazing? Something in the glue? Mylar packing tape comes from so many sources, I would struggle to ensure that it does not have the same glue as the electrical tape.

If you use clear packing tape, be advised that they aren't all created equal. The adhesive on some will remain on the surface rather than releasing, and it can be incredibly difficult to remove. In my experience 3M works better than anything else I've tried. More expensive, but worth it for the savings in aggravation.

The article that Carl linked to says not to use the tape on Lexan, but it doesn't say that for acrylic. I think that the canopies are acrylic.

Dave

I have used electrical tape in layers while doing the fiberglass work necessary to finish several canopies. Started in 1995 and others as years went by. Whats up with not using electrical tape??

Back