VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-17-2019, 08:54 AM

Default Elevator Fairings

Got all the elevator parts clecoed together and thought I'd see how how the fairings would eventually fit in. I was expecting them to nestle perfectly inside the E-903 Outboard Tip Rib. Not even close. As much as a quarter inch gap between the two surfaces. Am I missing something? Wondering how that much gap would ever be dealt with come time to match drill and fit them in place?
Old 07-18-2019, 08:09 AM

Gap where and in what direction? Maybe post pictures? I seem to recall I only had to trim the aft flange on the fairing to get it to fit in place, but my kit is from 2009, so things may have changed.
http://www.mykitlog.com/flion/
EAA Technical Counselor #5357
Old 07-19-2019, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
Got all the elevator parts clecoed together and thought I'd see how how the fairings would eventually fit in. I was expecting them to nestle perfectly inside the E-903 Outboard Tip Rib. Not even close. As much as a quarter inch gap between the two surfaces. Am I missing something? Wondering how that much gap would ever be dealt with come time to match drill and fit them in place?
Did my elevators fairings a week ago. same as yours. it seems like the curve is not straight, so either no gap at front, or no gap at aft. but don't fit together.
i had to shave off some of the middle part to fit perfectly, which i intend to fill with microballs later to make smooth

Oren
Old 07-19-2019, 11:47 AM

it sounds like yours were too large to fit inside the contour of the tip rib. mine are too small. it's as if the fiberglass fairings need to be opened up more to match the contour of the opening they fit into ???
Old 07-20-2019, 12:16 PM

Default Food for Thought

I have been told by an advisor that if, during storage, the tips are not stood on the edge, the fiberglass will change shape over the long haul.

Do those with more brain cells than me have any thoughts on this?

Good luck,
Mike
Old 07-20-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
From my experience with the RV8, the fiberglass tips supplied in the kit must be fitted to the elevators and horizontal stabilizer just like metal components. At the moment, the fiberglass pieces have no structural stiffness and they can be easily bended and fitted to the metal tips. You may even have to sand down the edges so they will fit nicely to your parts. Assuming the fiberglass tips are manufactured perfectly, there is no guarantee they will fit perfectly to all the horizontal stabilizers or elevators because the builders introduce small inconsistencies to their final metal parts.

The tips are made thin enough so you can mold them to close tolerance with the metal parts using clecos. Imperfections can be filled using epoxy+microballoons to save weight. However, microballoons applied by hand tend to have voids but you can finish the surface to perfection using lightweight Bondo before painting. All the classic Glasair and Lancair need a lot of fiberglass fitting+sanding that make you wish you are building a Vans airplane.

A note on the tips. You should follow Vans instructions of stiffening the fiberglass tip with a piece of fiberglass sandwich foam core. This will truly make the tip structurally stable before you microballoon. I use the pink foam from Home Depot.

Donation paid through 2019
Old 07-21-2019, 06:52 AM

Again...great info and feedback. I think mine will fit properly once I fit a foam core inside that matches the contour of the tip rib profile. I'm going to trace the tip rib and then use it as a template to cut a piece of foam core to put inside the fairing and see how it works. I think will solve the problem. Thanks everyone for the help.