VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-02-2017, 06:52 AM

I talked with Bill today about my unit. It has been repaired and is on it's way back to me.

He said that the uart (drives the display ports) was bad. The delay was caused by the part originally used has been deprecated and is hard to find. He also mentioned that this was the first time he has had this part fail.

I asked about the Display Port 2 issue. He has a fix that he stated would apply to mine. He didn't state his plans to make the fix available to the masses.

I'll follow up this weekend or early next week on the re-installation and flight tests results.

I'm using my GTN650 as a gps source, so the AD doesn't have an immediate impact on me.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:05 AM

Bob,

Thanks for the update! Please let us know when it arrives and when you get it reinstalled so we'll know it is working properly. Also interested to see if it comes with new software - maybe some advance notice of the AD-induced changes.

Hopefully, we'll also hear from Justin as his unit was indicated as being en-route back to him.

Then, I should hear about mine!?
Old 05-06-2017, 09:24 AM

Have been busy with work so just got around to reinstalling my Unit yesterday. Unfortunately having the same outcome as I had before I sent the unit in (No GPS). I consoled in and took a series of screen shot of the configuration and will send that to Bill. Maybe its my antenna now but previously had two different shops test it with a known good antenna.
http://operationrv10.blogspot.com/
Old 05-06-2017, 09:38 AM

Justin, does the GPS antenna cable meet the length requirements?
Old 05-06-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich48041 View Post
Justin, does the GPS antenna cable meet the length requirements?
The GPS antenna is on top, the UAT is on bottom. Same configuration as when it previously worked.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:39 PM

Justin,

Glad to hear you got your unit back!

Just to understand - it worked after initial install, quit working, been repaired, and still not working?

Have you tested it since it has been back in a known good environment?
I used another builder (on this forum) to test mine in his environment - with his working before and after mine was in there not working. That was my evidence to bill to get him to accept mine for repair!

If you haven't tried that yet, please do and let us know the results.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorJ View Post
Have been busy with work so just got around to reinstalling my Unit yesterday. Unfortunately having the same outcome as I had before I sent the unit in (No GPS). I consoled in and took a series of screen shot of the configuration and will send that to Bill. Maybe its my antenna now but previously had two different shops test it with a known good antenna.
GPS antenna have active components in them. Garmin had problems with a whole batch of theirs. Mine died about two months after the warranty expired and had to be replaced. I suspect that's your most likely issue at the moment.

Bob
Old 05-06-2017, 03:42 PM

I received my ADS600-B back from an extended stay at Navworx. It quit displaying output last September. I sent it back then, but it was returned as no issues found after bench testing. The unit still didn't display any output.

After having correspondence will Bill, I sent it back again for him to personally test the unit. He confirmed that the display output was not functional. He also mentioned that the uart was a depricated part that took him awhile to find the part in stock. He stated that he has never seen this part fail before. This does raise a concern about future repairs, but then this is common today with electronic components.

I asked him about the known display port two bug not displaying traffic. He said he would apply the fix. He also swapped my original wifi module with a newer module at no charge.

The unit is technically out of warranty, so while it took an inordinate amount of time to get repaired, I'm pleased that it didn't cost me anything.

I am still unable to get display port two to work with the wifi module and WingX. I'm still working with Bill on this issue.

We'll see on the flight to breakfast tomorrow how it works with live traffic and weather.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:35 PM

Just installed unit that I bought last April-600exp. UAT indicator light remains on and gps no satellites icon remains red. All other inputs are working normal and icons are green. Antenna brand new, tested normal with dmv, installed on friends Navworx unit and worked normal. I assume with the indicator light remaining on there is an internal error. Sent email yesterday and Bill Moffit replied within ten minutes. Good sign. Said to test antenna, which we did, all normal. Sent another email today and waiting for response. Reading previous posts sounds like there have been similar problems with internal gps. Will keep forum updated when I hear something unless someone has any ideas. Did numerous reboots to no avail.
Thanks
John
Old 05-06-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recapen View Post
Just to understand - it worked after initial install, quit working, been repaired, and still not working?
After initial install it worked for a good year and a half. Then it started dropping GPS signal intermediately and around December or so stopped working completely. During annual the radio shop took a look at it couldn't get a GPS signal even after trying a known good cable/antenna. A few months ago my on field shop tried another known good antenna with the same results.

That's when I sent it in... Now it's back, having the same issue... not sure what to do at this point other than having another cable/antenna test.