VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-20-2018, 04:06 AM

Default Lynx NGT 9000+ pireps wanted

Would love to hear from anyone who is using one of the 9000+ models installed. Especially if you installed it yourself. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2018, 05:54 AM

Thumbs up Lynx

I have one in my 1947 Luscombe. I wanted a visual and voice warning since this is my standard kid hauler

I like it very much

WX and winds aloft are a plus

RV-6A N680V / RV-10QB N353RV
Luscombe 8E N2423K 50+years
Hatz Biplane N2423Z soon to be birthed
Falcon RV Squadron Founder
KFFC Hanger D-30
Peachtree City, Ga
770 310-7169
EAA Technical Counselor #5142
EAA Flight Advisor #486336
ATP/CFI/A&P/DAR
Old 08-20-2018, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

I just installed one in my Stearman. Too early for pireps yet. The screen is bright and it certainly presents lots of information, and the WIFI connects to Foreflight so traffic is displayed there, too.
I also installed the traffic warning light on the panel, and am waiting to see how that works. Neither the audio or the light worked the last time an aircraft went by me (even though it was lit up yellow on the box and on Foreflight. I am waiting on an answer from Lynx). I wanted a transponder with both audio and warning lights, as the Stearman has some blind spots in flight and I fly underneath the busy Class B airspace in Atlanta.

The light and the audio work when tested with the maintenance tool. The transponder 24 month cert went fine, as did the FAA ADSB report. No errors at all.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
Kitplanes "Checkpoints" monthly column
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 08-20-2018, 07:33 AM

Default Also interested

I have a unit ready to install. Only downside I see so far is that there is no RS232 out for traffic and weather. Only RS422. So in order to display traffic and weather on my AFS 4500 I will need to install a device to convert 422 to 232. Anyone had any experience with this? Any feedback appreciated. Thanks
2019 =VAF= donor
Old 08-20-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS19087 View Post
I have a unit ready to install. Only downside I see so far is that there is no RS232 out for traffic and weather. Only RS422. So in order to display traffic and weather on my AFS 4500 I will need to install a device to convert 422 to 232. Anyone had any experience with this? Any feedback appreciated. Thanks
Try wiring one leg of the 422 first. Might work as most 232 receivers are fine with 5V data.
N164WM
N184WM reserved (RV-8)....finishing kit in progress. Titan IOX-370
Old 08-20-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post
I also installed the traffic warning light on the panel, and am waiting to see how that works. Neither the audio or the light worked the last time an aircraft went by me (even though it was lit up yellow on the box and on Foreflight. I am waiting on an answer from Lynx). I wanted a transponder with both audio and warning lights, as the Stearman has some blind spots in flight and I fly underneath the busy Class B airspace in Atlanta.

The light and the audio work when tested with the maintenance tool. The transponder 24 month cert went fine, as did the FAA ADSB report. No errors at all.

Vic
Vic, do you have the ATAS option?
N164WM
Old 08-20-2018, 11:17 AM

Regarding RS232 on the Lynx, I agree with the above...try connecting it per the Aspen diagram. I helped someone install one in their Lancair and configure it, and his EFIS was only RS232 at 38,400 baud and it worked fine with no converter. You can also use a converter if that makes you feel better. I think the voltage swing is close enough that it still works fine as is though for most systems. Converters are cheap enough, if you need one.

I am planning to put the NGT-9000 in both of my planes, and yank out my Echos this fall.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-mike View Post
Vic, do you have the ATAS option?
Yes, sure do.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
Kitplanes "Checkpoints" monthly column
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 08-21-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post
Yes, sure do.

Vic
Do you get the light and audio on Self Test?

If the installation is good, and there’s a traffic alert that causes the displayed target to be yellow, then the Traffic Alert discrete output should pull to ground, and the audio output should speak the “Traffic, xx O’Clock” message.

Keep in mind that Foreflight uses larger alert limits than ATAS, so a yellow alert on Foreflight may show as a cyan target on the Lynx. The ATAS algorithm only generates an alert when the predicted paths are very likely to cross (in accordance with the MOPS), so another aircraft can be very close (down to 500 ft horizontally and 200 ft vertically in the airport area), but not trigger an alert.
N164WM
Old 08-21-2018, 11:21 PM

Follow-up to my post a couple posts up. I couldn't figure out what I was waiting so long for, so today I ordered 2 of the NGT-9000's, one for each plane.
As soon as they're in, those Echo's are for sale and I won't miss them one bit.