VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-16-2019, 11:14 AM

Like Paul, we've been using Weathermeister for 12yrs. It is our main go-to tool.
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 10-16-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
The issue with WeatherSpork is that it primarily features larger airports. It doesn’t have all the data for smaller airports. I think this is an area where Weathermeister shines.
Bob,

When you say that Weathermeister shines because it has "data" for smaller airports, what do you mean specifically? That is has aviation-specific forecasts (like ceiling, surface visibility and wind) for these smaller airports? Or are you talking about surface observations (METARs) for these smaller airports?
Old 10-16-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd View Post
Bob,

When you say that Weathermeister shines because it has "data" for smaller airports, what do you mean specifically? That is has aviation-specific forecasts (like ceiling, surface visibility and wind) for these smaller airports? Or are you talking about surface observations (METARs) for these smaller airports?
Because I can easily see metars for uncontrolled airports along with tafs for nearby larger airports.

When i enter waypoints for a flight plans into WeatherSpork, the route and airport profiles will show no data for waypoints that may be smaller unit rolled airports.

For longer flight plans and attempting to predict the future, I understand why airports that have more forecast data is used. The majority of my flights are 1-2 hours with a departure within the hour. I find that Waethermeister gives me a quicker picture faster.

There’s no question that WeatherSpork is better for long cross country planning in my opinion.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:24 PM

Default WEathermeister

I used to use Weathermeister but, probably just bad timing, it didn't work around the time that I was going to renew. With all of the positive comments about WeatherSporx, I switched. Along with NavMonster, Weathersporx gives me a lot of great weather information.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:28 AM

I have used weathermeister for about a decade and when windy came around started using that as well. Now I use windy almost exclusively because 1) it offers multiple models (as already mentioned), 2) it has a lot more Canadian information (which weathermeister doesn't provide) and 3) it's free (though one can make a donation). Will probably be dropping my weathermeister subscription this year.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-mike View Post
For me, the Weatherspork route-grid with departure time slider, and profile views make it a killer app.
Same here, the slider really helps planning.
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Old 10-18-2019, 10:40 AM

I've used weathermeister since it came out, and really like it.

Started using weatherspork this year.

I now use both, and find the combo perfect for long trip planning. I've flown the -10 to KAEJ from Indy VFR four times since June this year, along with multiple other VFR trips in the midwest.

Weatherspork has great graphical depictions, and good high level overview of trip planning. Weathermeister gets me a lot more of the little details (good winds aloft, TAFs and METARs along the way, fuel prices, etc).
RV-8 wings / fuse in progress ... still
1948 Cessna 170 N3949V
Old 10-22-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Arehart View Post
I have used weathermeister for about a decade and when windy came around started using that as well. Now I use windy almost exclusively because 1) it offers multiple models (as already mentioned), 2) it has a lot more Canadian information (which weathermeister doesn't provide) and 3) it's free (though one can make a donation). Will probably be dropping my weathermeister subscription this year.
Thanks for the replies. I have been using Weathermeister since 2011. I really like the Weatherspork sliding capability for time of departure etc. I have looked into Windy.com and find it very useful for cloud bases etc so I think I may incorporate these 2 in the future. Windy.com is also free and accepts donations.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Because I can easily see metars for uncontrolled airports along with tafs for nearby larger airports.
Bob,

Hmmm? WeatherSpork does provide METARs all along your route and forecasts for larger and medium size (uncontrolled) airports (more airports than you'll get with TAFs only).

Quote:
When i enter waypoints for a flight plans into WeatherSpork, the route and airport profiles will show no data for waypoints that may be smaller unit rolled airports.
If you are looking at the weather for the future (a forecast), it will definitely provide all the airports covered by TAFs, plus another 1200 smaller uncontrolled and controlled airports where the forecast is updated hourly.

Quote:
The majority of my flights are 1-2 hours with a departure within the hour. I find that Weathermeister gives me a quicker picture faster.
Understand, but WeatherSpork provides all of the METARs along that short route, plus it covers forecasts for all of the airports that have a TAF plus many more smaller (uncontrolled) airports that don't have a TAF. And the forecasts are updated hourly. Seems like this is actually better than Weathermeister.
Old 10-26-2019, 02:33 AM

800wxbrief.com gets the job done for me.

To each his own.