VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-10-2019, 10:57 AM

Rick,
Now that you have flown the same plane with the O-360 and 370 how do they compare performance wise?
Old 03-10-2019, 12:13 PM

Default Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbRVator View Post
Rick,
Now that you have flown the same plane with the O-360 and 370 how do they compare performance wise?
I'm still breaking in the new engine, so I'm flying at high power setting. I can definitely tell the difference. Take-off climb has improved but I'm trying to keep the CHT lows so only slow climbs after I get to 1000 AGL.

I've pick up at least 5 -7 knots on cruise speed down low. I'm hoping that the high compression pistons (9.6:1) will help keep the power up a little bit at 8000 MSL.
RV-12 SOLD
Highland Village,TX
Old 03-11-2019, 01:06 PM

Default Titan Engine options

So you guys know.
The Continental Motors Titan experimental engines division can build a new 320, 340, 360 or 370 cubic inch engine with or without the accessories. If a customer wants to install accessories of his own, we run the engine on a hour test stand for 3 hours with "slave" system. This is to get the break in off to a good start, check for leaks, adjust the oil pressure, etc..
We offer many options for ignition systems, fuel delivery, induction system, piston compression ratios, valve train ( roller or flat tappet ), and cylinder design. These are tested and approved options that you may want on your engine. If you would like to explore what we can do and quote, we can be reached by phone at 251 436 8122, by email at jball@cmg.aero. or stop by and see us at Sun & Fun next month booth space LD004.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:56 AM

Default Almost finished

RV-7 Tipup; IO-382 Wildcat
http://www.mykitlog.com/eric@marmo-n/
Old 10-18-2019, 09:11 AM

Default Titan 370 Crankshafts and Pistons

Continental Motors builds the Titan 370 engines and kits with 2 basic configurations and a lot of options for fuel delivery, ignition, etc.

For either a fixed pitch or constant speed prop set-up they are;

High Comp. 9.6:1 Crankshaft equipped with counterweights 195 HP

Low Comp. 8.3:1 Non-counterweighted crankshaft 187 HP

The assigned the HP ratings above are average standards derived from dyno. testing of a few, not all configurations. Some make more HP than they are rated at which is achieved by the induction and accessories chosen. The counterweights on the high compression version are to mitigate the harmonic frequencies of vibration that could have an adverse effect on the propeller. The low compression does no generate such frequency vibrations so does not need counterweights.
The advantage of the low comp. versions for some owners is the option to use mogas. It is recommended that care be taken not to run too lean and that some 100LL is introduced into the engine from time to time 100LL must be used exclusively for at least the first 25 hour break in time.
Mobile, AL 36695
Phone 251 436 8122
jball@continental.aero
Old 10-18-2019, 09:42 AM

J.B., my 370 has 7.8 CR on the data plate. Is it actually 7.8 or 8.3? It was purchased from you about a year ago.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:26 AM

Default Compression Ratio

Actually there is also a piston option for a milder 7.8:1 compression, piston part # AEL75413. That gives you more of a safety option to utilize mogas.
Mobile, AL 36695
Phone 251 436 8122
jball@continental.aero