VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-03-2019, 04:07 PM

Default A New Sunshade

I am working to develop a new shade for vans aircraft and am wondering how much people would be willing to pay for a sleek, elegant canopy shade?
Old 10-03-2019, 04:29 PM

Default Typical answer, depends

Really depends how slim, how well it works, and how rugged is the design. If you came up with a thin design that could be repaired, replaced, or just never wore out while effectively blocking the sun I would gladly pay a few hundred depending on the quality. I bet you would cap out quickly though at anything over $500 since Kroger is a descent product and under $250.

For me personally the thickness is the most critical aspect since my head is within 1” of the canopy with a headset on. Just my opinion, use at your own risk. Second greatest concern is the invasiveness of the install. In particular, afixing something to the expensive canopy that is difficult to replace would be least desirable. Would also need to be retractable / removable for things like aerobatics if the large RV population were your target audience.

Happy to beta test for you as I am about to order the finish kit on a 14A If you desire.
Empennage & Wings Complete
Fuselage In Progress
Finish Kit On Order
Research Always

Last edited by mulde35d : 10-03-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:43 PM

I am a suction cup sun shade user. $10 each at big box stores, and you can position them exactly where you want them. I occasionally get whacked in the head when a suction cup breaks loose. I kind of like that wake up call, so I put it back in the same place, over and over, and get whacked again.

I do this because I can't stand to sacrifice visibility for shade, like one must with the rail system of certain shades. You find a way to mount a quality shade over the top half of a tip up, that is removable when not needed, but still stays in place, and does not rub against my headset, I'd give you $200.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the input! This is great! I would definitely be interested in have you (catmandu) beta test it once I get things a little more ironed out. The more feedback the better.