What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is Vinyl Final ?

joedallas

Well Known Member
Has anyone tried vinyl instead of paint for stripes in your paint scheme.
If so how long has it lasted.

Is vinyl final

I think the red -12 had yellow vinyl stripes on the original paint job. The vinyl was wrinkled and coming off on the side below the fuel filler when I saw it at Sun n' Fun. I guess it didn't like the ethanol in the auto fuel that was spilled during refueling. The red paint looked fine. Also, I didn't notice any crazing or cracking of the rear window.

Art Pennanen

It depends...

There are many vinyl products on the market and most of the manufacturers rate their product in years. Be aware of this if you are shopping graphics, the best "deal" might not be the good product. Here is a web page from a supplier that I have used:

http://www.signwarehouse.com/c-vinyl-supplies.html

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

My boat has vinyl lettering for the name and hailing port. The vinyl is red, on the sides of the boat.

The boat has been outside for ten years since the letters were applied and the vinyl lettering is doing great. No issues at all.

Of course it never saw gasoline. Just sunlight, altitude changes (sea level to 9,000 feet at the lake, and 11,000 feet momentarily while towing it), and fresh and salt water. A bit of soap and water, perhaps some wax, once in a while.

No problem, looks terrific.

Is Vinyl Final

I have vinyl stripes on my -9A. The aircraft will be 4 years old in April. I have had no problems with the vinyl. I did buy from Aerographics in WS. They use a quality product and it will peel off with a heat gun if you want to change. Not cheap like the car vinyl. Dan

I used high quality vinyl for the checkerboard on my airplane's tail. I used 1/2" vinyl striping tape as an accent around the painted trim on my airplane.

*Almost* 10 years later, it all looks great.

I put on vinyl of my own design 4 years ago and am very happy with it. I even did my wingtips, which are pretty hard to do. I used the best available at the time, which I believe was rated for eight years outdoors. Now there is ten year vinyl. Go to signwarehouse.com and look up Oracal 951. If you specify that, you will love the results. Material cost is about $70 per color, with shipping. I buy from Sign Warehouse, but am not affiliated to them in any way. Good company. I have done a few airplanes.

Bob Kelly

Is Vinyl Final or at least 10 years

I put on vinyl of my own design 4 years ago and am very happy with it. I even did my wingtips, which are pretty hard to do. I used the best available at the time, which I believe was rated for eight years outdoors. Now there is ten year vinyl. Go to signwarehouse.com and look up Oracal 951. If you specify that, you will love the results. Material cost is about $70 per color, with shipping. I buy from Sign Warehouse, but am not affiliated to them in any way. Good company. I have done a few airplanes.

Bob Kelly

Thanks for your response Art, John, David, Dan, Kyle and Bob. I’m building a RV12 with flush rivets and I have a 30” Graphtec cutter.

1. Is Oracal 951- 8-10 year 2mil PVC film the best available?

2. Is there software to handle the 3D Characteristics of
the RV12?

3. Is there a 3D drawing of the RV12 available?

Last edited:
Oracal 951

It looks to me that you have everything you would need. 951 is the best I know of, but I am sure some of the other companies can match it. Color selection might be the deciding factor there. About the only problem you will have is air bubbles--don't skimp on the liquid when putting it on, especially where it is wide. I have never had a problem caused by too much liquid. BTW, I HATE putting vinyl over pulled rivets, so you are ahead there.

Bob

Back